stable spherical/ball constraints on deforming character

940   3   0
25 posts
Hi I have some objects attached to a character that I want to swing/rotate around as the character is moving. Like a hinge/spherical constraint way. Any tips on a good solution? without the constraints going wild and jittering all over the place. What would be the preferred constraint solution to use? Also I would like to dampen the effect so its not as intense - doesn't inherit so much of the characters velocity, so things aren't swinging so wildly. I basically just want a little bit of rotation dynamics so things don't look so stiff. I don't want them to bounce or anything like in a spring constraint, just a little bit of rotation movement around the root of the objects. thanks
8525 posts
Should be straightforward with Vellum
If you have any particular issues post a hip file it may be much easier to fix simple example file rather than guessing what issues you are running into
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
25 posts
tamte
Should be straightforward with Vellum
If you have any particular issues post a hip file it may be much easier to fix simple example file rather than guessing what issues you are running into

Yeah it is very simple straightforward dynamics. In other software it would take me 5 minutes to setup creating a particle in between the objects to be as a spherical joint that has a rotation stiffness parameter to dampen the effect, but I need to set it up in Houdini... The objects are rigid and not cloth, but I did hear about the vellum shape match feature. However I wasnt too sure about it since its a newer feature. I'll attempt to set it up in vellum and if I cant figure it out i'll post a sample file. thanks!
Edited by tarincamarena - Sept. 13, 2022 00:01:05
25 posts
So I decided to come back to this part to see if I can figure it out. I tried, vellum, softconstraints, conetwist constraints and I couldn't get anything to work. Conetwist constraints seems the most logical to work so I uploaded a test file. I simply just want a solution where two smaller triangles are attached to a bigger triangle that's moving around, and they are swinging around but just a little bit. Hopefully somebody can help me in getting this to work. Thanks!
Edited by tarincamarena - Sept. 23, 2022 20:46:09

Attachments:
conetwist_deforming_objects_test_v001.hiplc (398.4 KB)
dynamic_triangles.PNG (465.1 KB)

• Quick Links