HDA Processor not pressing button parameter

1475   2   1
2 posts
I'm using Unreal PivotPainter inside my custom HDA. "Export" button parameter of the Unreal PivotPainter node is exposed to the HDA so I can press button from HDA interface. It works fine.

Then I wanted to use TOP HDA Processor to apply PivotPainter to all FBX models in folder. Documentation says "Buttons are converted into toggles within the HDA Parameters tab. When a toggle is on, it means that the HDA Processor will press the button before cooking." but unfortunately button is not pressed.

Since Unreal PivotPainter's button using Python callback script, I also tried to create additional button param that just runs Python script
print("Test")
It also doesn't work. How can I get HDA Processor to run button's callback script?

Attachments:
Screenshot 2022-09-14 162111.png (42.5 KB)
Screenshot 2022-09-14 162331.png (75.4 KB)

Staff
581 posts
I did a quick test in H19.5.368 with an asset that has a button that just prints a message, and it seems to be working as expected. A few things to note:

• The print statement will appear in the work item's log, e.g. the log that you can view by Ctrl+Middle Mouse clicking on a work item dot in the UI. It won't appear in the shell that started Houdini since the HDA Processor work item runs in its own process, and the log from that process is captured and displayed on the work item dot itself.
  • If the work item cooks from cache files on disk, the print won't appear since the work item doesn't actually cook/do anything.

If neither of those is the issue, then please attach a standalone .hip file + .hda file that reproduces the problem. Also, let us know which version of Houdini you're using.
2 posts
tpetrick
I did a quick test in H19.5.368 with an asset that has a button that just prints a message, and it seems to be working as expected. A few things to note:

• The print statement will appear in the work item's log, e.g. the log that you can view by Ctrl+Middle Mouse clicking on a work item dot in the UI. It won't appear in the shell that started Houdini since the HDA Processor work item runs in its own process, and the log from that process is captured and displayed on the work item dot itself.
  • If the work item cooks from cache files on disk, the print won't appear since the work item doesn't actually cook/do anything.

If neither of those is the issue, then please attach a standalone .hip file + .hda file that reproduces the problem. Also, let us know which version of Houdini you're using.

Your message about work item's log was helpful, didn't know about it, though this didn't help to solve issue. But while I was preparing simplified project file for you I was able to resolve my problem. The reason button didn't worked is that HDA path inside HDA Processor node was absolute "D:/Projects/..." and not using variable like this "$HIP/hda/...". By changing path everything worked. Previous path was correct btw, and button was pressed according to the work item's logs. But it didn't execute callback script.

I don't know if this is a bug or I just shouldn't use absolute paths in Houdini but that's it. My version is 19.5.368.

UPD: It stopped working after I restarted Houdini without any changes. Seems like this is some kind of cache issue. By changing path cache is invalidated but after restarting program it's not working again. But idk how to fix it.
Edited by Sedles - Sept. 15, 2022 02:59:43

Attachments:
HoudiniPivotPainter.zip (723.4 KB)

• Quick Links