'Speed graph' for object level animation?

1250   6   1
177 posts
I'm sure many here will be familiar with Adobe After Effects and it's graph editor. That features two modes of operation: a standard function graph and a speed graph. The latter being very useful for retiming and fine tuning animation.

I can see that Houdini has a 'Labs Simple Retime' node - but that is SOP level only.

Is there a speed graph / retime functionality available in any form at OBJ level?
Edited by Mike_A - Sept. 19, 2022 18:14:12
2529 posts
Press the V-KEY while hovering over an animated parameter in the properties panel. Just like After Effects, there is only one keyframe, the "speed" is the interpolation through the values. I recommend untying all your handles and adjusting the tangents by hand.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Ubuntu 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
8525 posts
You an use chops or motionfx to retime animated parameters and object transforms

Depending on your needs it can get a bit messy

I prefer keeping most thing at SOP level, so that potentially only cameras/lights need to be retimed at object level

But Solaris or USD does probably make it easier to retime everything at once
Edited by tamte - Sept. 19, 2022 17:24:11
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
177 posts
I understand how to see the animation editor and function graph - but that's not what I'm seeking.

Consider a simple two keyframe position animation: a sphere is moving through space. Each keyframe position is an arbitrary location not aligned to any otho axis. The animation editor now has three different and independent curves for X, Y and Z translation. I want to control my objects speed along that path - without disturbing the path itself. That requires a speed graph. If you look at the graph in the SOP level node: 'Labs Simple Retime', you'll see what I'm after - but at the OBJ level.
Edited by Mike_A - Sept. 19, 2022 17:35:45
177 posts
tamte
You an use chops or motionfx to retime animated parameters

Thomas - thanks for that pointer, I'll look into those options.
177 posts
Why are utility nodes such as 'Timeblend' and 'Timeshift' not available at the Object level as well as the Geo level?
8525 posts
Mike_A
Why are utility nodes such as 'Timeblend' and 'Timeshift' not available at the Object level as well as the Geo level?
different context, different type of network
Objects only pass transform through the connections
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
  • Quick Links