ati mobility radeon 9000 settings

11911   9   4
8 posts
I succesfully intsalled houdini 6 early access software as an Apprentice user on my laptop computer.
I have ati mobility radeon 9000 card, what settings are proper for optimal opengl performance? It seems good, but it should be better…
1631 posts
Hi there,

Have you tried the latest ATI drivers?

Also, you might want to try this: Use the “Solid Edge” configuration in the graphics setup (RMB on the desktop, where you'd set up the resolution).

I hope the above helps!

Cheers!
steven
8 posts
thank you for your answer,
Yes I use the latest ati mobility drivers from dell.

What is that “Solid Edge” configuration? I can't find it. Is it inside Houdini?

Is there anything to do with the houdini opengl environmant variables?

my configuration:
dell inspiron8200
1.8GM P4, 386MB, ati radeon9000 64Mb, windowsXP pro
1631 posts
Hi,

The “Solid Edge” configuration setting can be found under the ATI OpenGL configuration page. Please right-click on the desktop & select Properties. Go to the Settings tab, then click on Advanced & you should be able to find ATI related settings. Please go to this link for an example image:

http://www.ati.com/support/faq/winxp/winxpconfigenabletvout.html [ati.com]

I apologise for not being too helpful as I don't have access to a laptop with an ATI card but I still hope the above helps!

Cheers!
steven
3 posts
hi guys,

i don't have a radeon-powered laptop either, but a “solid-edge” option sounds like something firegl drivers would have, not radeons. i run catalyst drivers for my desktop radeon 8500, and of course there are no such application profiles to choose from.

then again, ati has been known to give radeon owners firegl drivers for linux. i am actually curious if sipi has been able to find something like this in his mobile drivers…
3 posts
The link you posted was for activating TV out, did not have anything to do with OpenGL settings. There is no such setting in the control panel for he Mobility 9000. The performance problem seems to have something to do with parameter changes. Moving a param slider is EXTERMELY slow, 2-3 frames per second. Spinning the model is very fast, so OGL acceleration is happening. I have DBL_BUFFER_FIX set. I also tried DISABLE_RASTER_IN OVERLAY, DISABLE_SMOOTH_STIPPLED_LINES, HARDWARE. None of these seem to affect the problem. You are going to see this question a lot more. We are already buying more Dell 8200's with M9000 to be used on site and at the office. I'm sure we are not the only ones. Right now, Houdini is not usable. I would really appreciate a pointer or 2. thanks.
170 posts
I have Radeon8500 and until yesterday I was using Catalist 3.1
Houdini worked mostly fine except for some minor GIU refresh problems here and there.
Yesterday I installed Catalist 3.2 and it's been a nightmare!
Houdini would freeze the whole system after the session has been run for 5 min or so. And usually it happens when I do something in the viewport or simply move a mouse over viewport.
The Things I Do For Love!
12 posts
I recently picked up a Dell 8200 w/ ATI Radeon 9000. Installed Hoidini 5.5 and it crashed everytime I attamted to run Houdini!

Dell has new drivers, as of 2/21/03. I downloaded these and installed 'em…no problems since! I have noticed some slow screen updates, however.

Does anyone have any idea of how the OpenGL settings might be optimized ? Currently running the defaults.
Thanx!
AndyR
51 posts
no vid card wars intended at all. another option for some 8200 owners may be to try and order the NV 700 GoGL from Dell (the NV 4200 go won't fit). A few people on the Dell forum have tried to order the 700 gogl but have not been able to yet guessing its because the m50 with it just came out, but they have been able to upgrade their 8200 and 8100 video in the past so its expected to be available soon.
1 posts
Yet another case of Houdini crashing (freezing) on ATI Radeon 9000.
It actually started crashing while I was installing Houdini.
There's got to be a solution. There always is.
  • Quick Links