Vellum cloth: How to create stiching constraints myself?

1018   6   0
1004 posts
Hi!

I'm using the Vellum Drape sop to stich the cloth together. I often get bad stiching like in my picture.

How can I create the stiching constraints myself in vex? Do I just create polylines with a specific group or attrib name (sitch_constraint, or something like that?).

-Olivier

Attachments:
vellumDrape_BadStiching_01.JPG (95.9 KB)

1004 posts
Ok, so, I solved part of the problem by making sure that the border points are in order (sort sop). But I still get situations where I manually have to "invert" the stiching....
1004 posts
So, no way of making those constraints in vex? I wish I could simply do something like: "connect from point 35 to point 92" ,etc.
8535 posts
olivierth
So, no way of making those constraints in vex? I wish I could simply do something like: "connect from point 35 to point 92" ,etc.
the constraints are just lines with attributes, so pretty easy to recreate in VEX
the original are already created in vex if you are brave enough to dive inside

even without that I'd suggest observing the constraints output in Spreadsheet
then you will be able to do whatever you need, by just creating line between specific points and add necessary attributes
Edited by tamte - Oct. 6, 2022 13:03:06
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
8535 posts
but still sounds easier to make 2 ordered groups the way you want them (manually or procedurally) and use in Vellum Stitch constraints
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
Staff
356 posts
Have you looked at the Vellum Attach Constraints SOP? It allows you to draw the constraints interactively and place them exactly where you want - this was to address the problem of stitch constraints not necessarily connecting the right points when only using procedural near point methods.
You can also use it to modify existing constraints - first injest them and then move the attachment points around.
1004 posts
Thanks for the reply, tamte!

I fixed the sorting problem. It helps but I still get stiching problems. Each border points of a patch is ordered, but there's always point numbers that will go: 52, 53, 54, 0, 1, 2, 3. This seems to cause problems but I'm not sure how to go around that...

I looked at the vex inside the the Vellum Constraint sop but it seems to use an automatic closest method. I'll see what I can come up with by looking at the spreadsheet.

EDIT: Hey npetit, I saw your message after posting this. I'm on 18.5 so I don't have access to that new sop, saddely!
Edited by olivierth - Oct. 6, 2022 18:32:26

Attachments:
constraint_VEX.JPG (80.0 KB)

• Quick Links