Primvars in texture filepaths question

1606   3   1
77 posts
Hello there,
managed to load up textures based on primvars, but seems primvars have to match full path because i cant modify the string attribute form inside the shader or can i?
My usual workflow usually looked like i put an attribute on geo like @tx_name = "Concrete", and then from file input i extend it to "C:/folderstructure/"+@tx_name+"resolutonfolder"+"diffuse.exr" but in usd i have to bake in the primvars every single textures absolute path and modify primvars if for example want to hook up texture from different folder or want to change resolution of the maps? Or do i miss something?
Many thanks!
77 posts
No idea anyone?

I also noticed since karma xpu seems not read primvars, but still would be cool to able to use expressions for filenames somehow.
Cheers!
Staff
4438 posts
In VEX with Karma CPU I'm fairly certain you could do this using the VEX string manipulation methods. But I don't know what sort of capabilities MaterialX has for building paths from strings like this.
Staff
468 posts
blakshep
I also noticed since karma xpu seems not read primvars, but still would be cool to able to use expressions for filenames somehow

This is a common request.
eg
https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/86748/ [www.sidefx.com]

String primvars are not working XPU yet, but we do have it planned.

In the meantime there are alternatives...
- use UDIMS (a float-primvar can be used to offset the UV coordinate, or order to choose what texture you want)
- have multiple texture/image nodes in the scene, and use a switch node to choose the result. (ie you'd have an integer primvar to select what texture you want)
  • Quick Links