The best way to create a UI from Python in Houdini?

1747   4   0
117 posts
What is the best way to create a UI for a python tool in Houdini?
I have not found any tutorials. Basically a window with text and numbers that the user can run before starting the tool.

Cheers,
Andreas
311 posts
What about the parameter editor?

You can add text, numbers, buttons and more tools.
Interested in character concepts, modeling, rigging, and animation. Related tool dev with Py and VEX.
4495 posts
Any Qt tutorials can help. If you get lost in the syntax, you can look up the PySide2 equivalent code or just PySide2 specific tutorials.

You can host these inside a python panel like a regular pane or make it floating, etc.
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
117 posts
animatrix_
Any Qt tutorials can help. If you get lost in the syntax, you can look up the PySide2 equivalent code or just PySide2 specific tutorials.

Thanks. I have been meaning to check out Qt. Does it work well within houdini?
4495 posts
AndreasOberg
animatrix_

Thanks. I have been meaning to check out Qt. Does it work well within houdini?

Yes it's very good except you will have to spend a lot of time trying to match the exact styling of Houdini for example if you want to match Details View pane 1:1. Ideally SESI should provide their own preconfigured controls that we can just instantiate and start populating.

But unfortunately even they are not Qt based so it's up to you to make your own that looks identical. For example the new Scene Graph View looks good but that's also not Qt.

Apart from this and the Qt's own issues, it's pretty powerful.
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
  • Quick Links