Houdini normal node issue.

2335   12   0
16 posts
Today 5:42 P.m.
Hello,

I am learning Houdini and following a disintegration tutorial, I am stuck at a point where a Normal Node is inserted but I get a completely different result, I had attached a screen capture, maybe someone is able to help me, thanks!. SideFX Houdini non commercial v19.5.404.

Attachments:
0A9EB7F8-3F92-4BE0-8E01-708AC1CD7B82.png (1.9 MB)

4495 posts
That looks like viewport redraw issue. You can try to recreate the viewport. Restart Houdini, etc.

Also play with point, vertex normals, that could force reupdate.
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
16 posts
animatrix_
That looks like viewport redraw issue. You can try to recreate the viewport. Restart Houdini, etc.

Also play with point, vertex normals, that could force reupdate.

Hello, I had tried but no luck, still the same result.
678 posts
Can you post your file? it's hard to say what is going on.

Cheers
CYTE
16 posts
CYTE
Can you post your file? it's hard to say what is going on.

Cheers
CYTE

Hello, I had set you a message with the files, thanks!!!.
56 posts
When these spikes appear after you apply a normal node, then it is a viewport issue (because the normal node won't displace your vertices).

My first suspect would be the driver for your graphics card. Is it the latest version? Or if you have the latest you could try the latest stable driver before that.
Edited by Xue_Yue - Nov. 7, 2022 03:06:00
16 posts
Xue_Yue
When these spikes appear after you apply a normal node, then it is a viewport issue (because the normal node won't displace your vertices).

My first suspect would be the driver for your graphics card. Is it the latest version? Or if you have the latest you could try the latest stable driver before that.
Hello, I am on a MAC M1, could that be issue?.
16 posts
Hi,

I had uploaded here the project files, the original from the tutorial and the one I had created, thanks for all the help!.

Attachments:
Archive.zip (177.3 KB)

678 posts
Can you please Isolate the problem and give people a chance to help you?
where are we supposed to look in that files?
support one file with only the problem in it.

Cheers
CYTE
Edited by CYTE - Nov. 7, 2022 09:10:41
16 posts
Hi,

My apologies for all the inconveniences, OK I am attaching a new scene file, within the Geometry node there are two setups, the original from the tutorial and the one I had created "names also on each setup", up to the point where a add the Attribute VOP is added to separate the pieces from the fractured geometry my results are completely different in my setup there are no fragmente peces but distorted geometry, I had followed everything in detail, hopefully someone can help me.

Thanks in advance!.

Attachments:
DISINTEGRATION_PRJ.hipnc (259.6 KB)

419 posts
you are missing bringing the attribute "centroid" into the VOP network and then connecting it to get vector component and noise
Edited by sepu - Nov. 8, 2022 01:40:50
16 posts
SEPU,

Exactly, at this point corrected. Now I am facing another issue, after the "Attribute VOP" there are two"Attribute Wrangle" nodes added, 1: "ADD_MYNEAR_ATTR2" located under the "Attribute Copy", and 2: "TRIGG_BY_DIST2" located after the null "EX_3D", I am using the same 'Radius parameters" In the wrangle nodes to control the color propagation in the inside faces of the geometry but after playing the values I can not get the same result as the tutorial, I had attached a new scene file and agree capture.

Anyone able to help, I appreciate the time taken to review the scene file.
Edited by xavierqdeidan - Nov. 8, 2022 10:36:19

Attachments:
DISINTEGRATION_PR_v2.hipnc (272.2 KB)

16 posts
Screecapture

Attachments:
Screenshot 2022-11-08 at 10.23.12 AM.png (1.9 MB)

• Quick Links