what is the singular matrix

4469   4   1
639 posts
hi,

I think I ran into this before, but I forgot how I solved it or found out what it is , etc. etc.

What does this mean again…?
mantra: Singular matrix detected “/obj/debris”

Thanks,
A.
4256 posts
pscale of 0 most likely.
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
Staff
2591 posts
TheUsualAlex
hi,

I think I ran into this before, but I forgot how I solved it or found out what it is , etc. etc.

What does this mean again…?
mantra: Singular matrix detected “/obj/debris”

Thanks,
A.

A singular matrix is a matrix which can't be inverted. For example, with a scalar, 0 is a perfectly valid number, but try inverting it and you get division by zero.

For matrix math, you multiply by a matrix to get from one space to another. However, sometimes you want to get back to the original space. To do this, you multiply by the inverse of the matrix. With a non-invertable (or singular) matrix, you can't do this.

Again with the scalars, Let's say you had a scale of 3. If you took 2 and scaled it by 3, you'd get 6. If you had 6 and wanted to find out the original number, you would multiply by 1/3 (divide by 3) which would give you 2. However, if your scale were 0, if you multiplied 2 by 0 you'd end up with 0. And now, try to figure out where you came from. You have to divide by 0, which isn't very well defined.

In the context of the error message, most likely there's a zero scale somewhere in the matrix (just like Wolfwood suggested)
639 posts
Wow! Thanks for the explanation, Mark! That actually gave me a much clearer picture of invertable matrix! Thanks Jim also, for pointing that one out. It made perfect sense!
321 posts
TheUsualAlex
Wow! Thanks for the explanation, Mark! That actually gave me a much clearer picture of invertable matrix! Thanks Jim also, for pointing that one out. It made perfect sense!
And I was going to say it depended if you took the red pill or the blue pill. :wink:
Antoine Durr
Floq FX
antoine@floqfx.com