Texture rendering problem

3931   4   0
3 posts
Hi there,
Currently I´m texturing the face of my model. I painted a texture, added it with a layered surface shader and use a cylindrical mapping. In viewport it looks ok, details of the skin are visible. But when I render the picture the transitions and shadows in the face seem very rough and the details are gone.
I tried different light settings but it didn`t help. Maybe you can give me a hint?

Thanks,
hedshrinker

Attachments:
faceRender.jpg (112.7 KB)
faceView.jpg (129.2 KB)

1631 posts
Hi,

If you can post the hip file, it will be easier for us to find out what went wrong. Also, I hope that's JPEG compression of the image you posted & not what the render looks like. If so, have you tried putting down a new Mantra ROP to see if the render quality is different? Have you tried increasing the Super Samples from 3 x 3 to 6 x 6?

One more thing to try is to convert your texture to the RAT image format. Here's a thread [sidefx.com] that has some info about RAT.

Hope the above is good enough for you to continue. Else, please post again & we'll try other options.

Good luck!

Cheers!
steven
3 posts
Hi there,
thanks for your help, but so far it didn`t help.
I`ll post the concerning part of my project. Maybe you can have a look at it.

Thanks,

hedshrinker
Edited by - May 30, 2007 14:47:26
1631 posts
Hi,

Firstly, I apologise for the late reply. Had to deal with this thing called work.

I went through your file & didn't notice anything wrong with it. I've attached the viewport capture & a rendered image. I really don't know why your rendered image is so different. Did you adjust any settings in the ROP or maybe mplay?

One thing I would like to bring to your attention is the scale of the geometry. Your geometry is only 0.1x0.1x0.1 units in size. Not that it's wrong but the small scale might cause problems. One problem with the small scale is not allowing shadows to be cast correctly. I have to use a VEX Shadow shader & decrease the Shadow Bias to 0.005 to get shadows.

Not that what you've done is wrong but you don't have to use cookies to combine the geometry together. Just wire the head, eyes & hair into a Merge SOP & you're done.

Please post your original file if you can or PM me to email me the file directly & I'll try to see if something is really wrong.

Good luck!

Cheers!
steven

Attachments:
rendered.jpg (22.9 KB)
viewport.jpg (18.0 KB)

3 posts
Hello again,

I found out that the mplay is the problem, when I render to “ip” I get bad quality in the viewer. When I save the image to disc it looks alright.

Thanks,

hedshrinker
  • Quick Links