Network Share Folder not working

1133   3   1
4 posts
Having major issue getting a project to submit correctly. Server and clients are setup so I can see all those in the web interface, but when I try to submit a job it errors out and gives me this error:

ERROR: Cannot find file M:/HoudiniShared/GrowthScene_01_FarmTest.hiplc

Ive specified a shared folder of M which is a folder located on a local server that all the computers are currently pathed to as a network drive. No matter what settings I put in, it can never find the folder. What am I doing wrong?

Also why are there so many points of failure? There is the web browser settings, client settings, and server settings that can all have the sharedNetwork. mount settings
Edited by ghostpro - May 2, 2022 17:19:39
4 posts
I think I have narrowed down that my client cannot seem to access the shared folder through Hqueue client. The client can see the files just fine through windows explorer. Does anyone have experience with the log on options for the Hqueue client service? I am only running a local account on the client machine. In order to map the shared network folder I had to use a username and password which is seperate from the local account.
21 posts
ghostpro
I think I have narrowed down that my client cannot seem to access the shared folder through Hqueue client. The client can see the files just fine through windows explorer. Does anyone have experience with the log on options for the Hqueue client service? I am only running a local account on the client machine. In order to map the shared network folder I had to use a username and password which is seperate from the local account.
+1 here, have you found out the solution?
311 posts
Probably I could help you, although my work is focused on Linux systems and not Windows. However, given the information and the situation we are in I feel that this might become a case of trial-and-error horror.

To help you anyway, I suggest that you divide your case into two parts. First, can every host read the files? If not, you should probably check at Microsoft support forums about that, because it is not actually a Houdini related issue.

I'd like to extend the first part and mention that every user, regardless of Houdini, should be able to rename the files. Otherwise they do not have write permissions.

Finally, when the above is in place, you would need to make sure that the HQueue client user that users are accessing the storage with also have both read and write permissions.

Hopefully this helps a little.

You wrote: "I am only running a local account on the client machine. In order to map the shared network folder I had to use a username and password which is seperate from the local account. "

Whatever user is trying to read a folder or a file, it must be approved by the server. I've used (RenderMan) Tractor a little in the past and did test HQueue a little, but do not really focus on rendering at the moment. However, I've messed with open and basic security for File Servers (SMB/NFS) a couple of times. Pertaining access to file servers, and you probably are using SMB or NFS, you should be able to grant one single user read and write access with username and password then use that single account from every host.

As mentioned above, try to mount the shared resource from Windows Explorer first with whatever user and password you have assigned in the server configuration. When that works for both read and write you probably just need to read the docs for HQueue. If that does not work I suggest submitting a ticket to Sidefx support regarding HQueue.
Edited by SWest - Jan. 14, 2023 07:52:21
Interested in character concepts, modeling, rigging, and animation. Related tool dev with Py and VEX.
  • Quick Links