Create a simplified geometry from a tree canopy?

633   2   2
3 posts
Hi
I am a Houdini noob. Here is a problem. I need to transfer normal information from a geometry that fits a tree canopy to the cards making the canopy. The tree is created in Speedtree and the face normals are not unified towards a common point. So I am thinking of transferring attributes from a smooth geometry that can cover the tree canopy to the leaf cards.
1. Generate a simple geometry that fits the tree canopy (This can be very smooth with normals facing outwards like a sphere)
2. Extract normal information from this geometry and transfer it to the tree's canopy.
Hope someone has a solution.
381 posts
You could use a Shrinkwrap sop on your leaves to get a convex hull, subdivide it a little, then use a Normal sop on the resulting geo and Attribute Transfer it back to your leaf cards.
1004 posts
If you already have the cards (leaves) and the simplified sphere-like geometry, you can use the Attribute Transfer sop. Connect the cards to the first input, and the sphere-like geo to the second input. In the sop, make sure points is active and type "N" in the field. That way, each point on the cards will find the closest surface on the sphere and pick that normal.
Edited by olivierth - Feb. 3, 2023 15:20:29
  • Quick Links