Any rule of thumb when choose between solvers?

1308   2   1
30 posts
Hello all,

just a general question of any tips or guides to determine when to use what solver. For example, I'm creating a simple bowl pouring viscous chocolate into a cup, tried flip fluids first but could get what I was looking for, but after googling a bit I saw a vellum fluid solver. I tried the vellum solver and got closer to the result I wanted faster than the flip solver which I couldn't get close to. attached is a ref of what I wanted to create.

when approaching a problem any guidelines or questions I should ask myself before choosing any solver?

Attachments:
chocolate poor.PNG (2.6 MB)

8540 posts
it usually comes down to experience, which precedes lots of trial and errors

if someone tells you FLIP is better for something than Vellum Fluids those may be generic guidelines
but it doesn't mean you will immediately get the same results or experience

especially in your example, since small scale viscous fluids are handled by FLIP and Vellum Fluids quite well

the unfortunate thing about the solvers is that they are not producing physically plausible results 100% of the time, not even at defaults so there is always some experience required to know whats necessary to tweak to achieve certain looks

anyway here are some general guidelines comparing vellum fluids an flip
https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/vellum/vellumvsflip.html [www.sidefx.com]
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
30 posts
Thank you. So trial and error and some degree of foresight. This the first time using vellum flip so I guess this is where the exp starts with it.cheers Tomas!
  • Quick Links