License server not running in every single reboot

1929   7   1
45 posts
Since a few days every time I boot up my computer the license server is not running and I have to reinstall it to be able to run Houdini Indie.

Every time I reinstall it it works ok until the next reboot.

What can be causing this?
Staff
463 posts
Which operating system are you using?
2 posts
My operating system with the same issue is OSX 12.4 (21F79).
45 posts
Windows 11 updated
856 posts
Generally noticed licensing issues lately too. It looses licenses mid render for example.
--
Jobless
2 posts
Returned to Houdini after a couple of months away and my 30 minutes of what should have been playing-with-Houdini was instead 30 minutes of dealing with the license server, installing it, it can't find a license, license is not valid, please try doing a manual install, that server name you typed is not valid, machine error, and so on and so on.

It was enough to drive me away a couple of months back and diving back in and seeing the same issues reoccur is enough to drive me away again. I'll need to write up all the issues to document them and then send them to SideFx - they were good about getting in touch the last time (every time) this has happened, but it feels like an afternoon down the toilet with little guarantee the issue won't happen again and again. Funny stuff.
248 posts
That's one of the reasons i went with Steam Indie this time around. The downside is sometimes "cloud saves" bugging out (solvable), but totally worth it on macOS, licensing works perfect. Sad to see this still an issue though, i had those problems more than a year ago.
https://twitter.com/oossoonngg [twitter.com]
21 posts
Similar problems here! What I have dealt with using Houdini Indie license withe 19.5.403 and 19.5.605, is if I don’t start Houdini immediately after booting the PC, the license server fails.

I then check to see if license server is running in services and it will be shutdown. If I restart the license server, it still will not allow Houdini to start until I reboot the PC!

As long as I start Houndini shortly after booting the PC, it starts ok.
  • Quick Links