Is Houdini getting buggier and buggier?

2485   7   0
12 posts
Im wondering if anyone feels that Houdini is getting really buggy? Every click is a possible crash now. The memory gets filled up immediately and kills the machine, the cache doesent really do anything it always recooks whatever I click anyways. Its become a really frustrating experience for me lately. Before i could easily meet my targets, now I have to work a couple of hours overtime just to fix the bugs.
Im writing this after Houdini crashed when I was scaling a grid.
It used to be pretty solid if I remember correctly.
2529 posts
Post your hardware and OS.
I use Houdini everyday, and it seems stable to me. H19.5.493.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Ubuntu 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
Staff
4435 posts
Indeed, more information, please! Are you using SOPs? LOPs? DOPs?
You said "becoming buggy"... Does this mean that newer version of 19.5 are crashing more than earlier versions of 19.5?
If you go back to an older version of 19.5 does the crashing decrease for your workflows?
Can you provide crash logs? Hip files? Steps to reproduce?

Obviously we try to continually assess the quality of Houdini builds, but it is a product with a lot of nooks and crannies, and if we don't go in and cover the exact areas of the software that you are dealing with, things can slip through the cracks... For example, "scaling a grid" (i.e. a default grid SOP plugged into an xform SOP and modifying the scale) is one thing that would shock me to see it crash. But if you are importing that grid into LOPs, and the grid has "holes" in it... Well, that's a much bigger more complicated story...

Thanks for your patience and assistance.
12 posts
Im an environment artist, so its mostly sops. I work in a proffesional setup with a remote machine and streaming all the data from servers. Currently I have a threadripper PRO 3955wx 16 core, Nvidia A4000 and 128gb of Ram. Rendering with Arnold.
So I do a lot of scattering, trees and stuff. Very intense stuff but not to complicated. In this case with the grid, I just wanted to add a ground plane at the horizon and it worked the third time. Also just enabling and disabling a scatter I never know if its going to survive. I think its all about the memory, when I had 64gb it would crash every 30 minutes or so and sometimes freeze the whole machine and corrupt the save. With 128gb it gives a bit more time. But often its just importing a new alembic tree and it will explode. Im actually on H18.5 at the moment but I had the same problems on 19.5.
I talked to a friend the other day and they now started doing grooming in houdini and he was also complaining about constant crashes.

As I remeber I didnt have that much problems in Houdini 15 to 17, but maybe I am pushing it harder now.
856 posts
Purely anecdotal but I'm also having too many crashes. I think the best thing to do is click that 'send to sidefx' button when it crashes.

Sometimes reloading crashed scenes or copy pasting parts of it can be problematic because there's a type of crash that deletes nodes and/or connections and it may not obvious for quite a while.

Look in /tmp/houdini_temp/ and maybe you see a pattern in the crash log files.

If you identify or narrow down the cause they're usually pretty good at fixing the problem. Sometimes I run this in a shell: tail -f /var/log/syslog and you get a live update of what's happening on your system but it may not work in a studio setting, permissions and whatnot.
--
Jobless
205 posts
I wonder if your stability problems have something to do with nvidia's drivers for windows since version 5xx. Did you already try to roll back to something like version 497?
12 posts
It's a bit of problem submitting crashfiles and bugreports when you are working in a studio. I don't really have access to internet and I cant roll back drivers either beacause thats all up to to tech support. Not sure how SideFX gets hold of that kind of studio data, would be valueble for sure. Lots of things happening in a studio that doesent happen with my home computer.
Maybe the issue is that the last couple of years many studios have expanded the use of Houdini to areas that is not historically its strong suite. Like Layout and environments, I used to do all that in Maya. Maybe the the classic Houdini VFX stuff gets all the feedback and attention it needs and never crashes then.
I think there are two separate big problems going on. Memory handling and graphics driver issue.
3 posts
Well i am having a lot of crashes in ue4 with procedural build pattern
Node.
After a while houdini start cooking and never ends
Need to presso esc bottone but this corrupts the hda file in ue4 and crashing the map.
Ryzen 5950
Rtx 6750xt ( driver 23)
128 gb ram
Edited by Lupoluke - March 14, 2023 06:07:39
  • Quick Links