Houdini 20 Rumors

207753   515   23
41 posts
I would love to see....NURBS. SideFX please add NURBS functionality to H20! )

After several years in Alias Autostudio (really old software) i dream of mix power parametric surfaces (surf. evaluations, precision, g2 and g3 blending and etc) and power of houdini tools.

Autodesk Dynamo - absolute shame ))
17 posts
Tser
I love the new Karma XPU renderer, but I hate the fact that every time I want to edit the geometry in any way, the viewport switches out of the Karma render view and you have to get back to the Karma render view after you have edited or moved the geometry, I know that you can do the transformations in Solaris, but I like to do old school, but I suppose I could just use the Karma rop instead.
To avoid this , i always work with solaris with 2 viewers with 2 nodegraphs linked . One viewer with lops network linked and the other with a sop network linked to the other viewer.
So you can work both without changing viewers between lops and sops
I love node based world

Learning and Playing houdini
48 posts
Jackatack
Tser
I love the new Karma XPU renderer, but I hate the fact that every time I want to edit the geometry in any way, the viewport switches out of the Karma render view and you have to get back to the Karma render view after you have edited or moved the geometry, I know that you can do the transformations in Solaris, but I like to do old school, but I suppose I could just use the Karma rop instead.
To avoid this , i always work with solaris with 2 viewers with 2 nodegraphs linked . One viewer with lops network linked and the other with a sop network linked to the other viewer.
Cheers mate, will give that a go, the Karma ROP keeps playing up and crashing Houdini, so I am avoiding using it, Solaris is very stable and never crashes so I'm in favour of using it.

Well, I just setup a Solaris Viewer linked to the Solaris Network View tab and an Obj Network View tab linked to a normal Scene Viewer and it works great, I can modify meshes/geometry in sop context in the Geometry Network and see the Karma update in the Solaris Viewer, very good, thanks for that Jackatack.
Edited by Tser - March 6, 2023 19:09:02
24 posts
I would love to see karma xpu production ready, more solver magic in SOP level, and maybe an update to CHOPs and COPs? I don't know how hard would it be to make this "new" COPs work with solaris, karma and materialX fluently

And maybe a non VEX friendly node to convert vector to quaternion? (or other types of attribures, like a convert attribute) I know it's easy with some VEX but not every Houdini user knows VEX and would love to use orient instead of normal (for example)
Final Layout.
Skydance, Madrid.
https://twitter.com/RodrigoMartinKJ [twitter.com]
114 posts
It would be awesome if when you open the Animation Editor(Alt+Shift F) the cursor was on the current frame instead of 1... That and the broken visualization of locked accelerations (when you hit the R button on a tagent handle, should toggle between solid and empty) are my big wishes for animation in H20!
12 posts
Jackatack
Tser
+1!
If we could edit geo live in Karma that would enable awesome procedural and interactive texturing opportunities. Like drawing curves onto the geometry as guide for shaders, textures, etc.
17 posts
Dronson
I would love to see....NURBS. SideFX please add NURBS functionality to H20! )

After several years in Alias Autostudio (really old software) i dream of mix power parametric surfaces (surf. evaluations, precision, g2 and g3 blending and etc) and power of houdini tools.

Autodesk Dynamo - absolute shame ))

Seeing as I doubt Houdini will ever catch up when it comes to direct modeling I too would love to see it introduce parametric modeling. What's out there right now (Rhino/Moi3d/Autodesk's stuff) doesn't seem to gain traction in games/animation/vfx, while parametric is a much better suited way of working for some tasks. Blender's modeling stack with all its addons leveraging it and Modo's meshFusion sits somewhere in-between the two imo, but they're still far from a replacement. I've work in all industries mentioned above but not seen a single person use a CAD software, even for car modeling. It's quite nuts.. but I get it, the CAD-type softwares out there take a while to learn and are often not very intuitive for a modeler used to something like Blender or old-schoolers still using Maya for modeling.

I hadn't even considered this in Houdini, but makes a lot of sense for SideFX to pursue. Would love to see it!
Edited by RumbleMonk - March 10, 2023 08:53:44
248 posts
actually now that i think about it, i'd love to see HDA working in blender.
And PDG getting optimizations for ML and training to some degree, or at least get the fundament laid out
https://twitter.com/oossoonngg [twitter.com]
461 posts
RumbleMonk
What's out there right now (Rhino/Moi3d/Autodesk's stuff) doesn't seem to gain traction in games/animation/vfx (...)

Plasticity is getting more and more traction:
https://github.com/nkallen/plasticity [github.com]
14 posts
What worries me is that there are a lot of various demands and SideFX would have to be extremely careful where they put resources to develop the software. So in the meantime, consider supporting Alexey Vanzhula, he is making a direct modelling solution for Houdini which you can pick up now. He also has a Houdini to ZBrush app called Z.
https://alexeyvanzhula.gumroad.com/ [alexeyvanzhula.gumroad.com]

The native grooming tools are a bit weird and confused between versions. I recommend GroomBear
https://kwac.gumroad.com/l/groombear [kwac.gumroad.com]

Also for NURBS, look at Plasticity.
https://github.com/nkallen/plasticity [github.com]
Edited by Stephen Davidson - March 14, 2023 20:19:46
72 posts
Carlos_Rivadulla
-Kill Mantra in favor of Karma.
-try to end redshift's hegemony in favor of materialx
-GPU Multithreading pyro solver.

Thank you! Finally someone who agrees that Mantra shall be dead!
636 posts
John31
Carlos_Rivadulla
-Kill Mantra in favor of Karma.
-try to end redshift's hegemony in favor of materialx
-GPU Multithreading pyro solver.

Thank you! Finally someone who agrees that Mantra shall be dead!

Mantra is EOL since H18 the development is fully on karma. They just didn't removed from houdini because it is still a solid render engine with many functionality.
461 posts
Godot Engine is becoming very popular, and is probably one of the most widely used game engines, especially by independent developers. Would it be unrealistic to wish for Houdini Engine for Godot to become available, perhaps not in H20, but in one of the next major Houdini versions? Is this being considered in SideFX's long-term plans?
636 posts
ajz3d
Godot Engine is becoming very popular, and is probably one of the most widely used game engines, especially by independent developers. Would it be unrealistic to wish for Houdini Engine for Godot to become available, perhaps not in H20, but in one of the next major Houdini versions? Is this being considered in SideFX's long-term plans?

Made 4 years ago a proof of concept. I asked for some help and i didn't got feedback or intresst. The godot file format is simple and with gltf i think the complexity for integration is lower.
The video is old and i had also made a small code update where the instanced objects are in a csv file and the points in a csv file. Thanks to that the load time is way faster.

https://vimeo.com/279678590/comments [vimeo.com]

https://github.com/Mandrake0/houdini2godot [github.com]
9 posts
Stephen Davidson
He also has a Houdini to ZBrush app called Z.
It is truly a weird process to 'sculpt' in Houdini and I see zero draw-backs in improving sculpting in Houdini since sculpting workflows are incredibly useful in a vast array of instances.
46 posts
What I really hope is that SideFx doesn´t neglect features like Solaris, the Terrain Tools ect. If I take a look at how fast World Machine is or what Gaia spits out, I get a slight glimmer of envy :-) (But Houdini´s Terrain Tools are of course much more versatile)

Cad Files are also kind of hard to work with in Houdini. Like opening a FBX with more than 1000+ objects, organizing, grouping, splitting, renaming, assigning materials. To this day I could´nt find a very efficient way to do that like I can in Maya or Blender. (I find this Modeler Addon quite useful for that, but not perfect yet). But maybe I just need to accept that this is a limit of Nodes and since Blender is free, it probably can do this job way better than Houdini ever will.

Best
Christian
320 posts
ajz3d
so you would be Waiting for Godot? FACE PALM
461 posts
bobc4d
so you would be Waiting for Godot? FACE PALM
Hopefully not.
1 posts
Maybe something like this already exists (that I haven't been able to find yet), but it would be really cool to be able to select an object, or face, or edge, point, etc., in the viewport, and be able to have a quick command to highlight all nodes in the node chain that influence your selection, and be able to cycle through them all.

I enjoy modeling in Houdini and would find this a really easy way of identifying which nodes are responsible for my selection, without having to only rely on coloring or naming my nodes. Selecting and edge and having the polysplit and polybevel nodes associated with it light up, would likely speed up my work.

If something even vaguely like this already does exists, please pardon me and inform me.
101 posts
I`m just very excited for whatever comes with H20. But nonetheless I`m also very curious if we will already see the improvements in viewport interaction (since they were looking for a realtime rendering developer one or two years ago). I`m also very excited to see that despite negating this for a long time, the integrated compositing part of Houdini will be worked on. Let`s see by how much and how long it will take until we micht feel it.
Edited by Sygnum - March 20, 2023 06:03:57
  • Quick Links