Creating a Blueprint Actor With a Houdini Generated Mesh

1031   1   1
6 posts
Hi all, I could not find any information directly related to this, but is it possible to instantiate a UE blueprint using an unreal_instance attribute and at the same have it use the mesh I generated on the fly in Houdini?

My use case is when generating large buildings, I want to generate doors and windows controlled by blueprint but there is variation in the windows and doors meshes generated from Houdini. So the only thing I can think of is first off to place the window/door blueprints with the unreal_instance attribute, but how do I "tell" these blueprints to use the varied door/window Houdini meshes instead of having to create them all beforehand? Can it be done with an unreal_uproperty and Houdini Asset within the blueprint?
Edited by RooiJakkals - March 17, 2023 15:53:07
900 posts
Have you found a way to this eventually?

I also need to spawn an already existing blueprint and assign the baked mesh from Houdini to a static mesh component of the blueprint.

1. I see that you can actually bake the digital asset to Blueprint instead of actor, but that simply creates a new blueprint from scratch. I don't see anywhere that you can specify an existing blueprint to bake to.

2. Also, there is the HoudiniAssetBlueprint component that could potentially help, but I'm not having any luck, it just cook once, but doesn't let you manually recook or rebuild the asset.
    Also it seems unreasonably slow compared to just using the digital asset. And
    very very prone to crash Unreal.

• Quick Links