How to save each variant as a layer to disk?

1124   3   1
355 posts
In this setup (file attached), how can I save each variant as a layer to disk? I've tried several ways with no luck. Lots of thanks in advance!

If there is a way to do that save after the assign material LOP that would be great also.
Edited by traileverse - March 26, 2023 00:20:11

Attachments:
forum_save_each_variant.hiplc (171.1 KB)

hou.f*ckatdskmaya().forever()
Staff
4435 posts
What exactly do you mean by "save each variant as a layer"? I can imagine two possibilities:
  1. Just save the "variant" opinions (authored by the Prune LOPs) to their own layers, and have the variant selection just switch between which prune layer gets referenced. To do this, you'd just need to add a configure Layer LOP after each prune, and feed that configure Layer into the multi-input of a reference LOP. Then feed the reference LOPs into the multi-input of the variantblock_end2 LOP.
  2. For each variant, save a layer that payloads in the floating_shelves_with_frame prim, and applies that variant selection. This is probably best accomplished with PDG, which makes it fairly easy to run a USD ROP multiple times using a Wedge TOP and a ROP USD Output TOP.

Hope that helps... Post back if you didn't mean either of these things...

Mark
355 posts
mtucker
What exactly do you mean by "save each variant as a layer"? I can imagine two possibilities:
  1. Just save the "variant" opinions (authored by the Prune LOPs) to their own layers, and have the variant selection just switch between which prune layer gets referenced. To do this, you'd just need to add a configure Layer LOP after each prune, and feed that configure Layer into the multi-input of a reference LOP. Then feed the reference LOPs into the multi-input of the variantblock_end2 LOP.
  2. For each variant, save a layer that payloads in the floating_shelves_with_frame prim, and applies that variant selection. This is probably best accomplished with PDG, which makes it fairly easy to run a USD ROP multiple times using a Wedge TOP and a ROP USD Output TOP.

Hope that helps... Post back if you didn't mean either of these things...

Mark
Hello, Mark, method one doesn't work for me, maybe because the variant block does a layer break, but it seems like the prim isn't in the variant block, just opinion on visibility attrib created by the prune. The reference LOP is giving unresolved prim path caution. Not exactly sure what issue is, looking forward to a follow up on this.

Haven't tried method 2 yet
hou.f*ckatdskmaya().forever()
Staff
4435 posts
Attached is a file demonstrating method 1, just to make sure we're talking about the same thing. As you say, just the visibility opinions will be in the per-variant files saved to disk, because it is only the visibility opinions that you are authoring into the variant block. I assumed this was your intent when I suggested this option, but it would be just as easy to get rid of the prunes, and put the actual box geometry as the input to each configure layer in the new file, then the geometry content of each variant would be saved into the per-variant file. But again, I don't really know what your intent is here... Whatever it is I'm sure it's possible to set it up

Attachments:
forum_save_each_variant_2.hiplc (194.6 KB)

• Quick Links