Separating RBD groups of objects

4581   6   2
74 posts
Well here is the situation, i have simple chair, that has around 20 pieces of groups.
I have my chair falls down collapse and breaks apart.
In Motion and Audio i can only see box Position but i cannot extract those groups and save them as chan files, so i only able to extract it's main Position but not the rest of the groups.
I am kinda confused, course if i want to use HighRes geometry with Fetch node, i get only chair falls down and that's all i get, without any fractured pieces as i expected.
What can i do in this situation?
Thanks!
537 posts
I did this with some simpler geo that didn't need to be as accurate … once I loaded back the individual geometry groups out of DOPs I used a copy-sop and used three points from each group to compute the up vector and normal etc. I then aligned them by hand with the rotate … this seemed to work but I'm wondering if there is a better way (I'm sure there is).

So yeah I'd like to know too … once you put stuff into DOPs, how do you get the transform out for each RBD? When it comes out as plain transforming points it doesn't do a lot of good to get other stuff in the scene working with it.

Or, put another way … what is the most elegant way to make an RBD the parent of an object in the scene / geo transform
Staff
2540 posts
Have you tried the DOP transform SOP?

Just make sure you apply the DOP transform SOP to the same geometry in the same position that is being referenced by the DOP sim.
There's at least one school like the old school!
74 posts
Hi Jeff!
That one works with Dop Transform, but the thing is i actually wanned to try to export to maya with Audio Motion to chan files, not using object sequence. Is it possible?
Edited by - June 18, 2007 14:25:30
Staff
2540 posts
Yes it is possible. CHOPs has the Dynamics CHOPs.

Off the top of my head…

Record Name to be Options
Record Numbers to be Geometry
Field names to be t r p

where
t for translation
r for rotate
p for pivot
537 posts
I see, when I was trying it I was using them more as parents … with drastically different geometry.

I saw the DOP transform in there, but I'm guessing that the Dynamics Chop would be able to translate that onto completely different objects?
Staff
2540 posts
Well within reason. You objects you apply it to has to be in the same position as the objects before they are fed in to the DOPs sim.
  • Quick Links