Reflective VOP misbehaving. (Apprentice on Windoze)

7659   4   2
9 posts
I was following along with the “Vex Builder - Creating a New Sop Part 2” tutorial video. I followed the video pretty closely up to the part where the host connects a Reflective VOP to the surface color of the Output node. (At about 5 minutes into the video). The render in the tutorial scene looked as you would expect, however my render was just black. :shock: (It still had an alpha of the object though). So I figured I goofed somewhere so started on a really simple scene. Couple of different objects all with a “reflective -> color output” shop on them. Nothing, still black. :?:

So I tried hooking up a print VOP to the color out of the reflective VOP, hit render and watched it dump nothing but (0,0,0)'s out. Did anyone else run into this when doing the tutorials? Or is it just me? :?

Thanks,

J. Price

ps…besides the occasional quirk here and there I love Houdini, two beers up for SideFX.
7025 posts
Hi,
That's very odd. It appears to be a bug! I just tried it and you're right, I get black. Strange, when I did that tutorial it worked fine ) Ah well. You can replace it with Reflective, that works well.

Cheers,

Peter B
9 posts
I was looking at the VEX code that the VOP creates last night and I have a little question. If the only thing you hook to the color parameter of the output VOP is a reflective OP, shouldn't the resulting color be black? (Since the background env. is black?) :?

So where is the bug occuring? In the current version of houdini? Or the version that was used to make the demo? Or do I have the completely wrong end the stick altogether? :roll:

Thanks,

J. Price
7025 posts
Hey,
I tested it with another object in the scene, so I should have seen the other object in the reflection… but I didn't. I'm still trying to figure out what's up )

Cheers,

Peter B
7 posts
XSS

XSS

• Quick Links