Animating a rope/wire

5798   7   2
33 posts
Hi,

I am trying to animate a single wire-like object to look as though it has a wave travelling down it (i.e. when you take a length of rope or string and shake it from one end.. the ‘wave’ moves down its length). I've done some tests in CHOPs and come up with the attached hip file.

Now my challenge is that I want to have each end of the rope constrained to a static point, with the wave still happening along the rest of the rope. I thought that I might have to somehow transfer the CHOP wave data into a DOP network that contains a wire.. but I have no idea how to do this at this present time. Or, if there is some way to constrain the end points using a points SOP possibly?.. this too, I have no idea how to do yet. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time .

cheers,

srgb

Attachments:
screenshot_wireWave.png (82.6 KB)
wireWaveTest_01_03.hip (187.9 KB)

Quality Assurance
The Foundry Visionmongers Ltd.
85 posts
What about the spring SOP, and I even think there is an example in the help card.
537 posts
You can make many variations of multiple channels using the local variables in a chop operator. Applies to just about all params .. $C is the channel number so for instance the seed of your noise could be $C.

To copy more chop channels you can pipe the same thing into a merge, or you can generate more chop channels with a fan (set to zero afterwards) and add the origional channel to all of them with the math chop.

From there you can delay based on channel number using local variables so that each channel delays differently. These can be referenced with a stamp in a copy sop and point or copy number so that they use the different channel values.

If you use points to copy the ropes onto you can also set the fan number to the number of points using expressions.
648 posts
try multiplying the effect with a sine wave
that uses the length of the rope.
attached is a sop demo.

Attachments:
multbysine.hipnc (163.8 KB)

33 posts
Thanks everyone .

Great example cpb, looks very much like what I am intending to achieve. I don't understand everything that you have done, but I'll spend some time dissecting your network to see how it all works.

I'm going to give andrew's idea a try as well to see what I can achieve. (another thing I don't quite understand yet.. but I'm always willing to learn)

Good weekend to all,

srgb
Quality Assurance
537 posts
I'll post an example in a few hours (at the college I teach at they only have Max)
537 posts
here you go … the stamping was a bit different than I thought originally since it's dealing with geometry and not parameters/attributes

Attachments:
animLinesMulti.zip (11.3 KB)

33 posts
Thanks for the example Andrew , I'll give that a try as soon as I can.
Quality Assurance
  • Quick Links