Simply Append a Polygon

10514   14   3
123 posts
Hi,

I just like to append a polygon to anexisting polymesh.
Is there a tool comparable with XSI or Maya's Append-Polygon Tool?

I just found the polyknit, wich just append between 2 existing polymeshes.

ops:

Thanks Tom
10 posts
Try FUSE :wink:
123 posts
thanks, but fuse = merge
I am looking for a kind of polygon tool, where I can append a polygon to an existing mesh.

any ideas?

greets Tom
12449 posts
Maybe PolyExtrude? You can use it in against an edge selection, allowing you to pull out another polygon.
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
1192 posts
Or you can simply draw a curve, set to polygon mode and with “closed” on, and maybe with snapping on to snap some of it vertices to existing geometry.
A closed curve is a “face” (or polygon) in Houdini, and an non-closed one is simply an open polygon.

Dragos
Dragos Stefan
producer + director @ www.dsg.ro
www.dragosstefan.ro
2199 posts
I'd still like to see a proper polygon building tool, not just an add on to the curve sop. It would be something more like the polyknit sop but editable like the curve sop aomething where you can build multiple connected polgons all at once without having any existing geometry and without having hundreds of curve sops. It can get pretty messy to have so many curve sops especially if you want connected points to be referenced from another curve.
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
12449 posts
Simon
I'd still like to see a proper polygon building tool,
Yes, this would be useful.
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
133 posts
Just a general Houdini modeling suggestion for developers. Download http://gsculpt.sourceforge.net. [gsculpt.sourceforge.net.] Analise and implement the tools. I think gsculpt is currently king of the hill as far as predictability of the tools goes. Everything works as it should, try for example:

1. Edge mode - Cut tool (read the info on the left)
This could be expanded to cut across the faces like wings3d connect tool does

2. Edge mode - Rewire tool - real useful tool - could be expanded to spawn an edge from a vert for additional functionality

3. Vertices mode - Target weld - works as it should - would be nice if it could use proportional mode to weld more points at one go

Anyways, would be nice if Houdini models start to appear on tweakcg.com or elsewhere.
35 posts
there are quite a few modeling tools houdini could benefit from. Maybe its how to implement them while maintaining a procedural approach holding things up.
Even though id rather have houdini friendly tools, it won't hurt to have some more tools for the times when procedural models are not needed
It'd be darn sweet though to have a procedural friendly append to poly sop :twisted:
123 posts
ok, so it really doesn't exist.
I guess, it would make sense to have an append polytool….
I see the procedural aspect, but split poly is also available…

Do you guys really model in Houdini or is the use more Animation?

greets Tom
1192 posts
I model in Houdini. There's nothing you *can't* do in Houdini, modeling wise, but it's not so streamlined as other modeling software.

Dragos
Dragos Stefan
producer + director @ www.dsg.ro
www.dragosstefan.ro
133 posts
Maybe its how to implement them while maintaining a procedural approach holding things up.

Imensah, you did look at the modeling program put the link for? Becouse I didnt mention GSclupt just for kicks. Its a stack based procedural modeler. It even keeps selection state seperate from tools (groups may have been more flexible here), just look at the way it handles region selections…hehe, weird but effective.
123 posts
Yes, I think you can do everything in Houdini, it's real experimental-box!!
But comming from Lightwave/Softimage it's complete different approach…

Do you guys have any renderings from your work.
Houdini mostly shows stuff in featurefilm quality, but what is single user
able to render with Houdini?
35 posts
el_diablo
I did play with gsculpt a while back.
It had quite a few interesting tools then but not quite as procedural as houdini. It may have come a long way by now though. I'll look at it again soon

tomtm
I'll post some personal houdini models soon. will send you a pm if i do
519 posts
Tomtm, there are some galleries of users work at Odforce.net. And then there are tons of moives with houdini in it, you must have seen a few already! Check under the Company header of this website and then the demoreel and houdini in film.
  • Quick Links