Modeling Question: Modeling a Pyramid shape

6452   5   0
18 posts
What is the best way of creating Pyramid polygon model which has exact four faces?

I tried to use “Superquad” SOP, but it renders in strange, and it has 5 points.

I also used

Box1
|
Edit (to Scale the top four points to the one center place)
|
fuse (to clean up multiple points)

It makes a pyramid, but when I render it using view>Mantra, it looks strange. I think it is about “Consolidate”. what is it? and How do I can fix the rendering look?

The normal pointing out nomally on the face.

Please advise.

Tojam.
Edited by - Dec. 28, 2007 14:49:06
1631 posts
You want a Tetrahedron which is available with the Platonic Solids SOP or you can click on the Platonic Solids tool under the Create shelf tab.

Cheers!
steven
18 posts
stevenong
You want a Tetrahedron which is available with the Platonic Solids SOP or you can click on the Platonic Solids tool under the Create shelf tab.

Cheers!
steven

Thanks for the information of the Platonic Solids SOP. It create a perfect shape. When I render it, it looks strange.

Normals on the object is pointing out. Please advise.

Tojam
12454 posts
The points are “consolidated” (shared) and so the normals are interpolated. Houdini does not support vertex normals - only point normals - and so you have to unshare the points.

What you need to do is to follow this with a Facet SOP or Fuse SOP and “Unique Points”. Unforunately the Platonic Solids SOP doesn't have this built in to it's network you do must do this yourself. If you want to use the shelf tools, select all the edges and run an EdgeCusp.
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
18 posts
Thank you, you answer is perfect.

PEACE~

from Tojam
Staff
809 posts
jason_iversen
The points are “consolidated” (shared) and so the normals are interpolated. Houdini does not support vertex normals - only point normals - and so you have to unshare the points.

What you need to do is to follow this with a Facet SOP or Fuse SOP and “Unique Points”. Unforunately the Platonic Solids SOP doesn't have this built in to it's network you do must do this yourself. If you want to use the shelf tools, select all the edges and run an EdgeCusp.

Another non-SOP possibility is at the Object level, go to the Render tab, then under that the Geometry tab, and un-select “Automatically Compute Normals”. In this case Mantra uses the Primitive normals, I believe, so you'll get the “faceted” look without changing your geometry.

But with Jason's method the object will look correct under Smooth Shading from within Houdini as well.
  • Quick Links