Selectable Flag & Subnets

6524   4   1
4256 posts
Howdi,

I confused myself and need an outside opinion. :wink:

Should the objects inside a subnet respect the selectable flag on the subnet itself?

For example.

1. Fresh Houdini
2. Create a subnet and turn off its selectable flag.
3. Enter the subnet and create a geo object
4. Exit out of the subnet so your in /obj/
5. Hit “s”

You can still select the subnet since the geometry object inside still has its selectable flag turned.

or

1. Fresh Houdini
2. Create a subnet with its selectable flag on.
3. Enter the subnet and create a geo object and turns its selectable flag off
4. Exit out of the subnet so your in /obj/
5. hit “s”

Despite the fact that the subnet has the selectable flag on you still can't select it.

Am I misunderstanding something? :?

jim.
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
12422 posts
I believe SESI have already changed this behaviour for 6.1 Perhaps SESI fill us in on the new methodology?
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
4256 posts
Perhaps SESI will fill us in on the new 6.1? :wink:

Are (were) there any advantages with current behavior?

jim.
Staff
2540 posts
This for both H6 and H6.1:
You can press the “Select Entire Subnet” button off to only select the subnet and not it's contents. Pressing it on enables you to select any objects inside the object and modify it's local channels and handles depending on wether you are using the “S” transform tool or the Object tool to get the node's custom handles. Either way, a select flag is a select flag. Turning off the select flag on the top level subnet node still allows you to select objects inside that subnet if their respective select flags are on. Select Entire Subnet has to be off for you to do this.

You can also lock channels for particular nodes and those respective handles will no longer show up in the viewport. Try peeling away one scale and rotate at a time and see how the handle looses those controllers.

Now for H6.1 and Custom Objects. The enhancments going in to H6.1 deal with Custom Objects and parameters that are promoted up to the Custom Object's parms plus the behaviour of how the scoped channels are presented. The idea is when you pick an object burried deep in a Custom Object and some of it's parms are promoted to the top level, you will get those top level parms in your channel editor tools and added to your scope and not the parms burried in the network. In other words, all the linked ch() functions are traced back up to the custom object panel and those are the channels you get, no matter how many times you redirect the ch() function. You get the associated handles with that burried node in the correct location.
There's at least one school like the old school!
4256 posts
jeff
Either way, a select flag is a select flag. Turning off the select flag on the top level subnet node still allows you to select objects inside that subnet if their respective select flags are on. Select Entire Subnet has to be off for you to do this.

Thanks Jeff. I understand now. For some reason I thought the objects inside a subnet would inherit the subnet's selectable state. Sort of like the display flag.

Thanks again,

jim.
  • Quick Links