Mac OSX Port?

315740   265   2
6 posts
I agree with all that a OSX version would be great. In the meantime how many out there have successfully run Houdini 9 under Bootcamp on a Mac.
I'm getting ready to purchase my first Mac Pro and the only Windows program I use is Houdini 9 and I would like to know if it will be possible to run on this new machine?
1904 posts
I've had no problems running Houdini on my Macbook Pro with either Windows or linux.
Graham Thompson, Technical Artist @ Rockstar Games
7 posts
I'm running 64bit Ubuntu gutsy on my Mac Pro with Houdini 9.1 64bit and have had no problems.
80 posts
Hi guys are both of you running Houdini 9 on ubuntu, cause I am trying to install it and get it to run on Fedora 8 and am running into several issues where it wont even start the latest error i get is a Caught signal 11 error. I am on a mac pro with the nvidia geforce 7600 with its latest drivers i got from their website.

Sam
1904 posts
Yeah I'm running Ubuntu 7.10 x64. Turn off the lame desktop effects and it works great.
Graham Thompson, Technical Artist @ Rockstar Games
80 posts
ah ok sounds like I need to install Ubuntu on my machine instead of Fedora, I am having a lot of trouble trying to get it to run on fedora 8. Would you happen to know what the Signal 11 error is all about ? My error log reads :

Crash report from neomatrix25; Unknown App Version 9.1.115
Traceback from Mon Jan 7 22:43:38 2008
Caught signal 11
AP_Interface::coredumpHandler(UTsignalHandlerArg) (??:0)
UT_Signal::UT_ComboSignalHandler:perator()(int, siginfo*, void*) const (??:0)
UT_Signal::processSignal(int, siginfo*, void*) (??:0)
<unknown>
RE_XServer::getWidth() const (??:0)
RE_OGLRender::RE_OGLRender(int, char const*) (??:0)
RE_Render::RE_Render(int, char const*) (??:0)
main (??:0)

thanks
655 posts
Clearly after Apple released this 8 core beast it makes more and more sense to get Houdini on Mac OSX, hopefully won't take too long.

:-)
40 posts
I am running houdini 9 on Mac Pro under bootcamp on XP and it's great. Although all my other apps are for OS X therefore I cannot wait for OS X version of Houdini 9. PLEASE!!!!!!
Hopefully there will be a way to transfer houdini 9 Windows license to OS X version.
3 posts
houdini 9 on a Mac..
1.Prep a partition of your hard drive using Fat32 bit setting (using the Disk Utility), or better- just add an extra hard drive and use it solely for the linux partition.
2. download CentOs 5, it's about a 4 gig download, takes about 4 hours if you have a t1 connection.
3. Burn the CentOs 5 download onto a dvd.
4. Boot up the mac using the dvd as the startup disk
5. Install linux CentOs 5 following the simple instructions on the dvd.
6. Re boot the mac holding the option key down (to pick which operating system you want to boot into), or better - use an app called ReFit to automatically ask you at boot time what os you want to boot into.
7. Once you boot into CentOs 5, download appropriate graphics drivers for whatever display card you have on the mac, and make sure the open gl driver modules are installed (check the install log).
8. Download Houdini, and install.
9. reboot and launch Houdini
10. Revel as you see H9 running on an 8 core mac with a 30" Cinema Display - fast, clean, simple.
3 posts
houdini 9 on a Mac..
1.Prep a partition of your hard drive using Fat32 bit setting (using the Disk Utility), or better- just add an extra hard drive and use it solely for the linux partition.
2. download CentOs 5, it's about a 4 gig download, takes about 4 hours if you have a t1 connection.
3. Burn the CentOs 5 download onto a dvd.
4. Boot up the mac using the dvd as the startup disk
5. Install linux CentOs 5 following the simple instructions on the dvd.
6. Re boot the mac holding the option key down (to pick which operating system you want to boot into), or better - use an app called ReFit to automatically ask you at boot time what os you want to boot into.
7. Once you boot into CentOs 5, download appropriate graphics drivers for whatever display card you have on the mac, and make sure the open gl driver modules are installed (check the install log).
8. Download Houdini, and install.
9. reboot and launch Houdini
10. Revel as you see H9 running on an 8 core mac with a 30" Cinema Display - fast, clean, simple.
41 posts
The big problem is that you need the image and video editors that you bought for the Mac, to work alongside Houdini.
If I am texturing, I would have to reboot for every change I make in Photoshop from Mac to PC…
If Adobe made their licenses cross-platform and Apple made Final cut studio for PC, then everything would be perfect.
Till then, you have to buy a $5000 PC workstation, only for one software in order to not having to reboot!
22 posts
I am holding my breath for OSX, does anyone know for sure if I am wasting my time?
113 posts
i hope.
where am I?
158 posts
rmagee
Happy new year to everyone in the Houdini community. The release of Houdini 9 and the new Apprentice HD initiative helped make 2007 a busy year. We look forward to making 2008 even more exciting!

Robert

:shock: Great news!
Linux is the best system at work but I don't want to mess with it on my own machine. I definitely would buy a copy for OSX.
22 posts
I just want an easy workflow between final cut and Houdini. So OSX is the only real option for us.
1390 posts
zamous
I just want an easy workflow between final cut and Houdini. So OSX is the only real option for us.

You want to make 3d titles for FC with Houdini?
341 posts
Hello mac freaks.

Works OK actually. Installed Ubuntu on Vmware Fusion and then running
ssh -X -Y login@host.

Attachments:
osx_running_houdiniS.jpg (116.1 KB)

Jens Martensson
Effects Supervisor @ Weta FX
41 posts
Windows version on Parallels works ok also, but please OSX version we need!
Houdini would be very fitting to the experimental Max/Msp, Processing etc, community that is very big on the Mac right now.
Staff
1182 posts
After another crazy winter storm here in Toronto we are finally seeing the sun. It is starting to feel like spring is around the corner. What a wonderful time of year!
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
73 posts
rmagee
After another crazy winter storm here in Toronto we are finally seeing the sun. It is starting to feel like spring is around the corner. What a wonderful time of year!

tease.

put up or shut up.
Edited by - March 10, 2008 11:24:02
- resist or serve -
  • Quick Links