OBJ export?

57543   7   5
45 posts
Does Houdini Apprentice HD have OBJ export and import? I want to be able to use 3D Brush for painting and detailing.

Thanks
519 posts
You can use the file SOP to import OBJ files. Not sure if you can export from Apprentice, i think it's disabled (else you could use the Geometry ROP to export to OBJ)
45 posts
Pagefan
You can use the file SOP to import OBJ files. Not sure if you can export from Apprentice, i think it's disabled (else you could use the Geometry ROP to export to OBJ)

I want to be able to export .obj to 3D Brush as well. Does Apprentice HD export .obj?

Thanks
Staff
3455 posts
yes
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
45 posts
arctor
yes

Thanks,arctor. So it's only the free Apprentice that doesn't export obj?
If so, I can see the obvious reason why.

Just wanted to be sure and not waste $100 on HD; but it now appears that it would not be a waste as AppHD does export obj.

Thanks

Improv
43 posts
I have done it a few minutes ago.
You can right click in any geometry node and select “Save Geometry” ( or “export geometry” I'm not sure) to save the objects in many formats, including OBJ

I have the HD apprentice Version
16 posts
I know that this is old post, but for the new beginners that are looking like crazy for a way to export an OBJ file from Houdini 10 Apprentice HD.

1. create something (I would recommend getting happy and do something complicated, a simple square or a circle would do).

2. Go to your output file -> hit the tab key on your keyboard -> choose geometry -> place the geometry node in the network pane -> select the geometry node -> go to the parameter section (the partition above the partition you were place in the geometry node) and next to the “SOP Path, select or click on the icon to the left of the arched arrow called the ”floating operator chooser“ (let the mouse hover the icons and their names will pop up) -> in the ”floating operator“ choose the ”box or square object and click accept -> In the Output File, provide a destination for your exported file by clicking the right most icon -> rename it to “anything.obj” -> hit render.
Once you've found your obj you can open it in any other 3d app or others like Photoshop CS4.

Hope this helps
1 posts
FYI the regular free non HD version is pretty straight forward to export.

Find the object you want to export in scene view.
Double-click to enter object geometry
Right-click and select save geometry

Just checked obj but I assume will work for other file formats.

There are many reasons to buy HD (this software is amazing and $100 is a decent thnx IMHO but this ain't one of them.
  • Quick Links