Making a comet looking like this:

13236   10   3
31 posts
Hi,

i'm trying to recreate the comet shown in the picture below using fluids but i am getting nowhere. Can you please assist me?

Thank you,

Paul

696 posts
why fluids?

Particles, would (in my opinion) be a better solution for something like that.
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
31 posts
Will particles be able to have that streak effect?

I come from Maya and I am not that educated with Houdini's dynamics, yet.
85 posts
Well
- a ball emitting particules, then some houdini magic to make the trail… I think there is a tutorial about missile tail that could be modified to look like a comet.
Fluid looks impressive, but a lot of things can still be made with particles… all my water splash and fire are done with the lovely POP…
696 posts
Fluids have their uses, but are also used in many instances when they are overkill. Unless you require fluidic motion, you are typically better off trying other methods.

In this case, you could probably get the look with a sphere emitting particles with lifespan. A bit of variance on their emission so that they go off in a cone shape. Use a color pop to control the alpha based on the lifespan, and you could probably layer this to get the different colors, or use some fancy expressions to do it in a single pass.
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
31 posts
I do not have to use a certain technique in particular, I just need to be able to achieve that look. If particles is the way to go, I'm up for it. I have some experience in working with POPs. Are there any guide lines I should take into consideration?

Thanks
85 posts
Here a simple setup in POP.
And as Allegro said use the color ramp in your shader.
I will try to get something in a couple of hours with the shader.

Attachments:
comet.hip (42.9 KB)

83 posts
fluids? POPs? why bother with dynamic solvers at all? a nice analytic method is usually waaay better.

The photo looks like it could be recreated with some simple geometry and a decent custom shader. No dynamics needed….

yeah?
454 posts
I'm with Ivan. Comets don't do much.

Procedurally:
1./ grid sop - poly - divs 8*1 - size 1*1 - center 0.5,0,0
2./ point sop - Use alpha. set to $TX
3./ copy sop - make 20 cumulative copies with random length scaling in X
4./ set up a ramp in COPs. make colors transition like picture
5./ use $TX to index into ramp to get point color
6./ primitive sop - rotate some random amount around z axis
7./ copy spheres to points (pscale (point sop) will effect each scale. transfer attributes (Cd, Alpha)
8./ shader with alpha para/perp (use dot product from I and N to scale opacity)

or something like that.
511 posts
I would try combining two or three volumetric cone lights, with image based slide projections to shape the streaks, diffferent falloffs etc.. might just work.
Staff
3455 posts
note that the stuff that comes off a comet travels in a straight line - no variance at all…
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
  • Quick Links