Trouble with HFS env variable and creating render node

4523   5   3
96 posts
Hi!

I just installed Houdini (Apprentice) 9.1.244 VC8 on a Vista 32 bit system and have run into the following problem: I can't create render nodes. Instead I get an error telling me that it can't open the file /houdini/scripts/menu/create_rop.py

Now, what I have found out (thanks to process monitor) is that in fact Houdini look for a file here:
C:\PROGRA~1\Side Effects Software\Houdini 9.1.244\houdini\scripts\$HFS\houdini\scripts\menu\create_rop.py

I found the \$HFS\houdini\scripts\menu\create_rop.py entry in one of the menu files. I assume $HFS should resolve into the houdini home path, however this seems to fail.

I already reinstalled houdini and removed the houdini folder from my profile directory.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance!
Staff
3455 posts
try installing Houdini to C:\Houdini
not a path with spaces in it…
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
96 posts
Thanks mate! That did it!
I should have thought of that myself

It feels a bit like a bug though, doesn't it? Considering the default install dir is in the Program Files directory.
7025 posts
That's a bit odd, I've installed the same on my Vista 32 laptop in Program Files and it works as well as you'd expect on Windows. No glaring problems anyway.

Cheers,

Peter B
52 posts
I've been experiencing this problem on Vista64 - http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=165338 [3dbuzz.com]

Reading this thread prompted me to give the installing without spaces another try (previously it didn't work - I'm wondering if I accidental left a space in somewhere), and this time around it seems to have worked.

FWIW and if it helps, my specs are:
Vista64
H9.1.244
Intel quad core
nvidia 8800gt 169.25
4140 posts
Installing in locations without a space has to be a workaround to some other problem that needs solving. Certainly I've only ever installed to the SESI provided default paths on both XP and Vista and I've never had a problem. I think it's a red herring. The instant you bring Vista into the equation, my first suspect is permissions. SESI seems to be following the rules AFAICT - 64 bit cut installs in the correct location on Vista and I've had no troubles.

I mean, as long as it works for you, fine, but just so's you know.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
  • Quick Links