Houdini (windows) on WinXP Pro64 suppourting 64 bit?

3868   2   1
436 posts
So heres a stupid question.

On AMD Opteron or AMD Athlon64 running WinXP Pro 64, is Houdini 6.1 (Windows) running in 64 bit (mode)?
Whats with 64 bit Linux on Opteron or Athlon64 CPUs?
Is Mantra 64bit?
Is it appreciably faster?
Sence Apple G5's are so fast and OSX 10.2 is for G5, so its 64 bit (right), any chance of Houdini Linux being ported to OSX? Which is a flavor or Linux (right).
Sorry if I am asking an NDA'ed question.

Finally superstupid question. Being a flight sim fanatic of sorts.
Do 32bit OpenGL or DirectX games (i.e. flight sims) run on 64 bit Windows, albeit in 32 bit mode.

Dave R
4140 posts
AFAIK support for 64bit needs to be compiled into the app - so far 64-bit is still rather new and has yet to catch on. It would need to be a separate 64 bit program - unusable on any 32bit workstation or with a 32bit OS. Interestingly, I know that SESI is the only 3dapp mentioned with HPs press release for it's zx6000 workstation - and there's a screaming Linux 64-bit only OS that runs on it - so at least SESI has shown an interest.

When/if 64 bit apps start showing up - yes, it will be appreciably faster for many types of operations, although even HP has admitted it's an extremely vertical market right now. It's expensive and the app choice is highly limited. Most users are opting for buying more 32bit machines instead and just farming out the cycles.

I strongly suspect that any flight sims/games would be running in 32 bit emulation mode despite having a 64bit api like directx available. Seems like it would be a nightmare to mix 'n match the two…IMHO anyway.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
Staff
2540 posts
SGI had 64bit procs for a very long time. There were some teething pains with Houdini but all is well on that side. I don't see any complications but I would highly suspect that there would be a different build of Houdini to support the new 64bit intel-based processors.

We have announced future support for the new 64bit intel processors.
There's at least one school like the old school!
  • Quick Links