slow renders on xp x64

3649   2   0
89 posts
Houdini 9.5, tested with both production and current builds, is rendering way slower than it should on xp x64. Windows is a pretty clean install, no firewall & no virus protection. Tried setting mantra -j 0, it didnt help. When I render, houdini hangs for a bit, then mplay opens and hangs for a bit, then mantra seems to render as fast as it should.

A simple scene with a few lights with depth shadows is taking 49 seconds per frame. In linux on the same computer a frame renders in 4 seconds.

Can anyone verify that they dont have rendering issues on XP x64?

Thanks!

Michael
Staff
2589 posts
mrice
Houdini 9.5, tested with both production and current builds, is rendering way slower than it should on xp x64. Windows is a pretty clean install, no firewall & no virus protection. Tried setting mantra -j 0, it didnt help. When I render, houdini hangs for a bit, then mplay opens and hangs for a bit, then mantra seems to render as fast as it should.

A simple scene with a few lights with depth shadows is taking 49 seconds per frame. In linux on the same computer a frame renders in 4 seconds.

Can anyone verify that they dont have rendering issues on XP x64?

Thanks!

Michael

Could you please verify that it's mantra and not mplay? What's the performance like if you render to a disk file (instead of the viewer)?

Thanks
89 posts
Mark,

Thanks for trying to help, its my mistake. I had an early beta on linux and didnt realize that one of my shaders was broken, thats why it was so much faster. That vop shader is really slowing down my scene, even if its outside the frustum.

FWIW the render time is identical in windows and linux.
  • Quick Links