Mount points?

5916   7   0
33 posts
Hi all, I'm new to Houdini and I'm working with TGE from GarageGames.
I can export and all that, but I'm wondering about how to set up and name so called mountpoints for use in-game.
Any ideas? Suggestions? Tutorials I've missed?
New Reality Company
Stereoscopic displays, software, solutions, products.
69 posts
mountpoints are nodes in TGE….so, in HD we make them nodes of the flavour NULL…..this will Render through the ROP as a node in torque. They could be ‘bones’ as well….

So, deforming rigs are comprised of ‘bones’, which export….mountpoints are of the type ‘Null’.

So, to make a mount point or other code ‘node’, I create a Null node. It's transform is 0,0,0 when created. I leave the checkbox open for keeping transform when parenting, so when I parent in the Network pane, the “mountPoint” Null ‘snaps’ to the same transform data as my Right hand. Now, I take and move the Null to where I want to the actual mounting location.

Note the rotation on the Null, it will be same as the R_Hand bone. This will probably create visually odd mounting behavior inside the Torque engine, so you WILL in all likelyhood have to ‘rotate’ the Null till you get the Y axis in the UP position. This orientation ‘should’ give correct mounting without scripting offsets….

If you have any difficulties, post away….I'll walk you thru it! Not too hard at all.

One good part of utilizing a ‘Null’ for the object is the parameters for the Null object. You can change the visual representation of the object as well as exposing the Origin of the object to check rotation matrix…..
33 posts
Thanks, I'll try it in a bit, as soon as I'm on the work-computer.
Hey, I also am having troubles with textures for TGE, know anything about that?

If I set up the DTS Material, assign it to the shape(s), it works, sort of.
I can place a camera, light, and a Mantra-node and get a render with textures working.

But when I do an export (I click export textures too) it shows up with the same color as it has in the Build-view (Mono-colored).

The textures are in the right place etc. And I have no clue what's going wrong.
New Reality Company
Stereoscopic displays, software, solutions, products.
3 posts
I have try what DrFrankenRex explained but I can't get my TGEA node to work. I'm trying to add a weapon node named “mount0” but I can't get it to work in-game.

Did I miss something? Where those “Null” nodes should be placed(parents?). Need to add something for the DTS exporter?

I'd really like to make it work soon so if anyone could help, you're welcome! Example files would be greatly appreciated
69 posts
The base object you are intending to mount a shape or shapeImage to, needs the mountN node, not the item mounting, as your naming convention would indicate.

Null nodes work fine for mountPoints, mounts….they export as a skeletal node.

Did you examine the DTS output from the ROP, to see if your mountPoint exported? As a Torque artist, I always check my objects outside custom codebases, via the Show Tool Pro program, first before trying to move forward.

If your object in the STP has correctly named ‘nodes’ for the intended purpose, then it is in your scripts where the errors may be occuring.

There isn't anything special needed for TGEA ‘compliant’ DTS shapes, other than the writing of the materials for the shaders in a script…a node is a node is a node; however, a mountN is a mountN, a mountPoint is a mountPoint, they are not considered the same by the stock engine.
3 posts
Thanks for your reply.

Sorry for my bad english, the mountX node is not on the “item” but on a vehicle to mount a weapon. My current system work fine using 3DSMAX, now I'm trying to export the same nodes in Houdini and I can't get it to work.

I have download Torque Show Tool and I don't see my mountX “Null' houdini nodes. I think I misplace the ”Null' nodes in the Houdini setup, where they should be in the hierarchy? Any example files?

I will try back again later.
69 posts
The Null node is exactly the object needed to create a skeletal node for TGE upon exporting.

I ‘believe’ the object can be anywhere in the hierarchy. The Torque ROP for Houdini does not force the artist into setting up the Scene in any particular way, the way Max forced the skinned mesh to NOT be part of the object's hierarchy…..ahem.

There are ‘example’ files under Help>>Nodes>>Example Files. These files demonstrate the DTS/DSQ features….

Also, for vehicles….there may be scripting that affects code between weapons and playerAvatars for mounting.

This may involve scripting and tge code, it might be better to take these questions to the GarageGames.com boards….

The only realy Houdini goofyness I've seen with hierarchy is the AutoRig toolset; it does not export as expected.
3 posts
Thx for your help DrFrankenRex! I finally found my issue… Me… The .cfg files is needed. I should have try it before ops:

I will post an .cfg example in case someone drop here with same problem.

AlwaysExport:

eye
cam
mass
mount*

That go in a .txt file renamed to .cfg.

Now I'm ready to go, I really like what I have see so far from houdini
  • Quick Links