Attachments:
install_error.jpg (79.5 KB)

22 posts
Hi,
what Mac and which MacOS do you use?
119 posts
Mac OS 10.5.4
Macbook Pro - 2G of RAM, GeForce8600, Core 2 DUO 2.2Ghz

I've had previous versions installed before without problem, everything seemed to work fine. I mostly use Linux though, so I hadn't really used it much during the beta.
22 posts
I also have sometimes problems to start houdini… but never had a problem with the installation… If there is no newer version, install a older one which worked before…
119 posts
The last version I used isn't available for download for OSX any longer.
Besides, I have two HD licenses for 9.1, I want one for my linux box and one for my laptop. I'm not going to upgrade to 9.5 if I can't even install the current version of the software so I'd really rather figure out why my machine is having the problem.
119 posts
also, does anyone else think it's kind of hilarious to see a big installation error message with the shattering glass in the background? haha
119 posts
Still no luck regardless of the version. I've created a new user on the machine and tried to install it that way in order to test if this was an error with preferences. No luck.

I've also tried editing the pkg file to remove the offending step of the install, but that was clearly not going to work anyway.

I'm running out of ideas and this is seriously bumming me out.

The console logs just state that they are continuously trying to start sesinetd but aren't able to find the houdini framework. So I think I need to find all of the files that are installed and mannually remove them before attempting another install. I'm thinking something went wrong in a previous uninstall and for whatever reason it's causing errors as Houdini tries to perform whatever function they need to when setting the folder icon.

Is there anyway for me to debug that script? How can I see what's trying to do in order to find out where the error is occurring?
7714 posts
What if you ignored that error? Does Houdini still run?
119 posts
Thanks Ed. I'll take a look and see what I can figure out.
119 posts
The installer reports that the module AppKit cannot be found.

So it would appear my python environment is screwed up? I've installed stackless but I thought that was a simple module addition only. hrm.
119 posts
Ok I'm all set now! Thanks again Ed.

The other version on python installed a symlink in /usr/bin that preempted my system supplied python. I didn't know that!

Cheers
7714 posts
You mean the stackless python? Anyhow, I'm glad it's all sorted out!
119 posts
Stackless python indeed. It installed it's own python which I didn't think too much of and it generally didn't affect me.

But in case anyone is interested it installs it's own python into /Library/Frameworks/Python.Framework

and the Apple supplied python is in:
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.Framework

So if you have a problem with it just be sure your .bash_profile places the system version first.

Very easy to fix. So I guess I installed the wrong stackless installer or something. Oh well.
  • Quick Links