9.5.170 won't start on macosx 10.5.4

6403   6   1
3 posts
Hi!
New Macbook Pro…installation done without problems but when I try to run whatever programs (Houdini,Image viewer etc.) I get the following error :

Process: mplay
Path: /Applications/Houdini 9.5.170/Image Viewer.app/Contents/MacOS/mplay
Identifier: com.sidefx.mplay
Version: ??? (???)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd

Date/Time: 2008-08-27 00:16:34.929 +0200
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.5.4 (9E17)
Report Version: 6

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread: 0

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libJPEG.dylib
Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/ImageIO
Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libJPEG.dylib: no matching architecture in universal wrapper

Please help me…I don't want to go back to Windows :wink:
Staff
1448 posts
what does the following give you in the terminal?
lipo -info /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libJPEG.dylib
3 posts
Uh oh…I get this:

Architectures in the fat file: Resources/libJPEG.dylib are: ppc i386

Mmmhh…let me guess…the problem is that instead of “ppc i386” it should be “x86_64” (or similar)?
Staff
1448 posts
Your guess is correct. The architecture list should include “x86_64”.

For example, on my system lipo reports:
Architectures in the fat file: libJPEG.dylib are: ppc ppc64 i386 x86_64
3 posts
Thanks rafal! But…is there a way to install-compile libraries for the missing architecture from the original Leopard DVD? Otherwise I have to perform a full re-installation… :?
Staff
1448 posts
Here are some links about installing libJPEG. Note that I just googled that, so there may be easier ways of doing it.

http://www.corkhatsoft.com/en/2008/01/21/quick-django-dev-on-mac-os-x-105-leopard/ [corkhatsoft.com]
http://www.cpuug.org/forum/index.php?topic=28.0 [cpuug.org]
http://tomster.org/blog/archive/2006/02/19/installing-libjpeg-on-os-x [tomster.org]
154 posts
Another option is to do an “Archive” install of OS X from your DVD. When you boot off of the OS X install DVD, the installer will fire up. When you choose the disk you want to install to, there will be an Options button. If you click that, you can choose different install options.

If you do an Archive Install, only your System folder and other system files will be re-installed. Your system settings and installed software should be preserved.

You should still back up your hard drive first if at all possible. I find it very strange that a Mac would come without the 64-bit versions of some of the libraries…
  • Quick Links