Memory related crashes

6136   7   1
5 posts
I'm using the non-commercial version of Houdini and it frequently crashes, apparently from lack of memory, in fairly simple geometry scenes. I have 2 Gb of total ram memory, Windows XPro. Is there a memory setting that I have to make?
T.I..A.,
S
203 posts
If it crashes while you're cooking a DOP network, try clicking on your DOP network, then go to the Simulation tab in the parameters view, and enlarge your cache memory at the bottom of the tab.

Attachments:
Cache Memory.jpg (118.9 KB)

Most of My Houdini Renders [flickr.com]
My System [evga.com]
5 posts
Thanks for the help. I increased the cache to 2000 and re-cooked a particle fluid from object simulation I'm working on. The problem I've had with this is when trying to do a “render region” in the scene view the software immediately freezes after marqueeing, yet under the render view tab the full render executes with no problem. In the scene view the problem happens whether using the default driver or mantra. I'm now using 9.5.170.
1631 posts
Hi,

Can you provide more information about your graphics card? Also, have you tried the latest build from the Downloads section found under the Support link above?

If it always crashes after drawing the marquee, the problem is probably your graphics card. Please check out this thread [sidefx.com].

Cheers!
steven
5 posts
I should have said that so far, at least, the freeze only happens with the liquid particle from object. When using simple particle from object, render region works fine. I am using the latest Houdini build, #170.

My graphics card is an nvidia Quadro 4500. I just installed the latest driver for it and I still get the same freeze with liquid particles from object.
1631 posts
Hi,

9.5.170 is the gold release but the latest daily build is 9.5.224. When you go to the Downloads page, please scroll down to the Daily Builds section.

If you have a simple file which causes the crash, please post it so others can take a look at it.

Cheers!
steven
5 posts
I downloaded 9.5.224 and I still get the same freeze with render region. I've attached the last file that I worked on. Before the 224 download I tried render region on a smoke from object sim and got the same freeze.

My PC is a Dell Precision 690 with two dual Xeons running at 2.33 GHz.

Attachments:
PartFluid4.hipnc (350.5 KB)

1631 posts
Hi,

I can confirm the freeze with your file when trying to do a Render Region.

If you can, please go to the Support > Submit H9 Bugs link above & submit a bug report.

9.5.225 VC8, GeForce Go 7600, WinXP

Cheers!
steven
  • Quick Links