SOLVED: Crash on install free license. HELP!!

5809   5   1
1 posts
Hey all. I am on Vista Ultimate x64. And I downloaded the 64 bit version of Houdini Apprentice. Upon the first launch I get the prompt to either add a payed license or install the free license. I choose free.

and immediately on the launching of whatever is supposed to come up when I chose that option, the program crashes. I tried going to the houdini license server thing, but couldn't figure out how to manually install it there.

I saw the post on crashing on launch being a video driver issue, but I am up to date with ATI.

Anybody help?!

and hello everyone, I am new!

UPDTAE:

Well, I figured it out!. what I did was go to houdini's program folder, and right click on hkey.exe and hmaster.exe and went to properties, compatibility, and checked always run this program as an administrator.

The license installed fine after that. I can probably switch that setting back off now, as the license is done installing. And I am not sure of both programs needed it, probably just hkey, but whatever. Also, just right clicking houdini and choosing run as administrator did not work.

I am only leaving this post here for anyone else who has this issue.
66 posts
This goes to show on many problems with a spectrum of applications.

I always run with the UAC feature turned off.
When I need to install something, I log in as admin, and else as a regular user.

Then stuff just works! ;-)
“If your life is not NOW, you're already dead…”
From Chrizto's book of truths
3 posts
Hello,
I got the same problem on a Santa Rosa Macbook Pro running Leopard 10.5.5.

I just downloaded and installed the latest build 9.5.241.
Since there is a thread already about this, I thought it's best not to start a new one.

Does anyone know how to fix this on OSX?

Also, I noticed that even though it's supposed to install 550mb, the houdini folder in the applications is about 4,3mb. There's another houdini folder in users -> shared that is.. empty. So if I want to uninstall, what steps should I make?

Thanks,
Orestis
1631 posts
Hi,

First of all, welcome to the forums!

I think you should have started a new thread with OS X in the subject but this thread is fine too.

Before you uninstall, can you start the License Administrator found in the same folder? Does it crash on startup? Or are you having issues installing the Apprentice license?

If you want to uninstall, there is an Administrative Tools folder inside the Houdini application folder. Open it & you'll find a Houdini Uninstaller.

Cheers!
steven
3 posts
Hello steven and thanks for welcoming me,
I hadn't looked in the Administrative Tools folder, thanks for pointing that out.

When I try to run License Administrator it crashes immediatelly… I have the same problem as WACOMalt:
When I run houdini.app it asks to install a license giving me 2 options: install apprentice license or paid license (even though I have already chosen apprentice license during the install wizard).
As soon as I click ANYWHERE on that window, no necessarily hitting a button, it crashes.
3 posts
I solved the problem thanks to a user from cgtalk, and I'm writing the solution in case someone else needs it:
It seems inkwell (osx handwriting recognition) + osx 10.5 + 64-bit apps won't mix at the moment, and ink causes 64-bit apps to crash.

Since Houndini for mac only runs in 64-bit (and only for leopard for that matter), disabling INK did the trick and it finally worked.
  • Quick Links