BUG - UI text rendering on OSX

7929   10   2
40 posts
hi, is anybody else seeing this problem when UI text labels render as black boxes ? (see the attached pic).

Attachments:
Picture 1.png (32.0 KB)

4140 posts
Try renaming your $HOME/houdini9.5 directory and restarting houdini. Looks like something got munged…

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
7710 posts
sf_dude
hi, is anybody else seeing this problem when UI text labels render as black boxes ? (see the attached pic).

Which video card are you using, and much video memory? I've seen problems such as this in the past when all the texture memory is used up. Also, which houdini version and build?
154 posts
We have seen problems like that on the Mac. I checked in a fix for some other text rendering issues with NVidia drivers a week ago. Those fixes seemed to be helping with this issue as well. What version of Houdini are you running? If you haven't updated in a while, try a newer cut.

We are looking into a slightly longer term fix for some of the rendering issues on the Mac that should benefit all platforms.
40 posts
I am using NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT on both computers at home and work. And I have seen this issue on both. build - 9.5.230
154 posts
I am using NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT on both computers at home and work. And I have seen this issue on both. build - 9.5.230

Ok, I just reproduced the issue in my development cut. I'll see what I can do.
33 posts
Hi,
Ive had this problem continuously for some time with builds from way back.
I have the same graphics card and have experienced other related problems
with the Houdini UI. It will no doubt happen to me again today so I'll post a screen shot with the most recent build i have. By the way I also have the HD
version(9.1) running on windows as well on this intel macpro and it feels a lot more solid. As for drivers… I have the latest Mac OSX version and as far as Im aware (because Ive tried) you cant download new Nvidia drivers for the Mac.

I hope this gets sorted out?

Regards

Simonl
40 posts
yeah, we should not really complain about the OS X version or compare it with Windows one just yet since it's new and still in development. But the UI seems to be really unstable. SORRY, I just had to say that :-P
154 posts
yeah, we should not really complain about the OS X version or compare it with Windows one just yet since it's new and still in development. But the UI seems to be really unstable. SORRY, I just had to say that

Thank you for being so polite:-)

For anyone who is interested, the problem is that OS X/Cocoa triggers refreshes at times that X and Windows do not. For example, on OS X, having Houdini check if the escape key is pressed can trigger pent-up window refreshes. That means that refreshes occur differently than Houdini is used to. We are having some trouble with the way Houdini shares OpenGL resources because of this. I'm just about to make some deeper changes to see if we can fix this in a proper way.

Hang in there, we are going to fix this!
33 posts
Hi

Thanks for the reply. This is very good news! Im glad that you may now be able to fix this and I look forward to using a more stable Mac version.

Regards

Simon
40 posts
Thank you for being so polite:-)

no problem. a developer myself here ;-)
  • Quick Links