Combine/Merge intersecting geometry into one surface mesh?

10443   3   2
34 posts
Hi I'm stuck on this problem. Houdini keeps blinking out on me due to the number of polys in the scene. I've got large structure made from hundereds of intersecting cubes. I'm trying to free up memory and speed up render by removing the ‘interna’ intersecting faces/prims and just keep the ‘external’ surface.

Very stuck on this, any help much appreciate as am close to deadline.

thanks ahead of time
7714 posts
Try this: from the main menu, choose Edit > Preferences > Objects and Geometry > SOP Cache tab. Change the cull level from 1 to 3. Restart Houdini with your scene file. You can slowly increase the Memory Limit if you want better (interactive) performance.
34 posts
Hi,

Thank you for the reply. I've done as you suggested and I think everything works ok now.

I'm also really happy with myself as I was able to create my one ‘make surface’ OP simply by using group paint to paint the outside faces of the geometry. The resulting group was the very same surface I was looking for.
In fact I just down the number of polys 15 times!

I was wondering though if there is a dedicated tool for this task. It must be a pretty standard technique when doing a lot of heavy modelling.

Thank you once again.
26 posts
Houdinski
Hi,

Thank you for the reply. I've done as you suggested and I think everything works ok now.

I'm also really happy with myself as I was able to create my one ‘make surface’ OP simply by using group paint to paint the outside faces of the geometry. The resulting group was the very same surface I was looking for.
In fact I just down the number of polys 15 times!

I was wondering though if there is a dedicated tool for this task. It must be a pretty standard technique when doing a lot of heavy modeling.

Thank you once again.

you could make an object and place it inside your other object and use it as a defining group that deletes everything inside it…. (if you can not see inside your primary object this may work well.
  • Quick Links