change background color

15279   13   4
32 posts
Hi all,
i realise that whenever i render, the picture will have a black background. How can I change it to other color. I tried searching both the mantra and camera node but i still can't find.

Please advise.
710 posts
Hi diskhub,
If you hit d in mplay it will bring up the display options and you can change the background color there. You'll also need to toggle on the transparency button in mplay's display bar (the one on the right). This is only for viewing in mplay though I think, and you'll probably need to do it in comp if you want to save with a different background color.
32 posts
DaJuice
Hi diskhub,
If you hit d in mplay it will bring up the display options and you can change the background color there. You'll also need to toggle on the transparency button in mplay's display bar (the one on the right). This is only for viewing in mplay though I think, and you'll probably need to do it in comp if you want to save with a different background color.

hi, thank for your reply.
However, i wish to have the background color changed before the render as I have some object which has a transparent shader and I do not wish to have the “black” color on them…

The most lame method i was planning to do was to put a plane with a colored shader behind. And is there anything like the camera in Maya where the camera has the option of changing the color background or image sequence to be projected…
28 posts
Been trying to figure this out also, but looks like ( from previous posts ) that it's not possible.

Maybe a very big sphere with a material or constant shader would help? and it's normals flipped?

Shouldn't be too difficult to implement a bg object or colour
32 posts
fede
Been trying to figure this out also, but looks like ( from previous posts ) that it's not possible.

Maybe a very big sphere with a material or constant shader would help? and it's normals flipped?

Shouldn't be too difficult to implement a bg object or colour

that's stupid if they do not have such feature. Just feel it's unnecessary to have another obj just for the backdrop…

but anyway, thanks for your advice!
28 posts
I'm by no means a pro at this stage and not the most qualified by any stretch of the imagination to answer any question so rather wait till one of the big guns gives you a definite.

Cheers
Edited by - Feb. 2, 2009 01:24:27
160 posts
good question
it's just what i want to solve
maybe it's is a way that built a camera otl
523 posts
Hello,

Maybe SideFX will implement this in the next Houdini builds….?

bern
28 posts
….there has to be a very simple answer on this….
Every 3d app has a way to do this. In Maya you go to Camera settings
—>Environment. And the color you choose affects indirect illumination btw.

How about Houdini? How do I change the background color?
Staff
181 posts
In your camera, go to View Tab and enter an image on the Background Image parameter.
If you want a solid color, you can create it on COPs
8525 posts
put down environment light, set it to some color
check Render Light Geometry
and if you don't want any illumination, just uncheck Diffuse Contribution
for no specular or refracion uncheck Specular Contribution
for H13 use new lighting contribution based on component labels you want to be affected
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
443 posts
silvina
In your camera, go to View Tab and enter an image on the Background Image parameter.
If you want a solid color, you can create it on COPs

+1
This's what I use to do.
28 posts
Got it! thank you all !!!
28 posts
Got it! thank you all !!!
  • Quick Links