memory allocation crash that doesnt make sense to me

8327   13   3
32 posts
someone tells me my problem isnt as solved as i thought, but doing these things helped me go from adding 8 materials to 49ish

updated to nvidia 181.22 driver
added “ /3gb” to boot.ini and now i can add 49 objects/materials, houdini crashes with 1.28gb being used, and windows is using a total of 1.6gb
Edited by - Feb. 10, 2009 05:33:27
Staff
3455 posts
what is the graphics card on the desktop?

intel integrated video is not going to cut it…
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
32 posts
thats what im saying

the desktop has a nvidia 8800 gts 512mb
the laptop has a intel integrated

however the laptop can add, AND even render 26 objects/materials
the desktop can only add 8, and cant even render them, cuz it crashes first

this is why its not making sense to me, the laptop should be the one that shouldnt be able to run this

the desktop however, shouldnt have a problem as far as i can tell

im also not understanding why the laptop uses 650mb ram for 26 materials/objects, and the desktop uses 750mb for 8
Staff
181 posts
The 8800 series of Nvidia had some problems. Please make sure you install the latest drive, I believe is 181.20, released January 8th…
32 posts
ok, i know i updated my video drivers recently, but i cant think of if it was before or after january 8th. I know i updated my forceware drivers this week cuz my motherboard couldnt use my new harddrive, so motherboard drivers should be current

when i get home in 4 hours, ill try installing some new nvidia video drivers, and if that doesnt work, ill install xp on a blank harddrive and dual boot it, and see if that makes any difference

ill post results

thnx for the reply
32 posts
PROBLEM SOLVED

i added “ /3gb” to boot.ini and now i can add 49 objects/materials, houdini crashes with 1.28gb being used, and windows is using a total of 1.6gb

well, looks like its time to either trying to get houdini to work on ubuntu again or buy vista …. hrmmm the choices

oh yeah, and the video drivers did help a bit, they brought me from 8 objects up to 21, so thanks for that
1390 posts
clown
PROBLEM SOLVED
i added “ /3gb” to boot.ini and now i can add 49 objects/materials, houdini crashes with 1.28gb being used, and windows is using a total of 1.6gb
well, looks like its time to either trying to get houdini to work on ubuntu again or buy vista …. hrmmm the choices
oh yeah, and the video drivers did help a bit, they brought me from 8 objects up to 21, so thanks for that

Just to be fair about it: I keep home 32bitWindowsXP, and all Houdini versions from 8.2 up to 9.5 (and higher actually) works normally, Slower then on Linux, but I can definitely create a hundreds of objects and shaders without crashing it.

Dops are quite limiting while they cache to ram, true. The same with Cops nearly unusable on 32bit machines. There is something wrong with your setup.
32 posts
Hrmm, ok any idea what i might try? Im kinda running out of ideas here then, if you say it should still be able to handle more that is.

by my setup do you mean my hardware or my windows installation or drivers or what?

ok, so tomorrow, i am going to install windows xp 32bit on my spare harddrive, i will then install only the updates, and the drivers needed to run houdini

i will also install houdini on another computer, a core 2 quad, 4gb ram, nvidia 8300, and see if i have problems on it
Edited by - Feb. 10, 2009 05:36:15
1390 posts
clown
Hrmm, ok any idea what i might try? Im kinda running out of ideas here then, if you say it should still be able to handle more that is.

by my setup do you mean my hardware or my windows installation or drivers or what?

First of all, which build of Houdini are you using? It should be one from the latest, isn't it?
Secondly, what object you create? I mean, if your 48 objects are all 2 million poly, then it might not work .
Just made a quick test, 1700 objs (boxes, spheres, toruses etc), 700 shader, 600MB allocated.
32 posts
houdini 9.5.350
nothing complicated, this is just me learning/playing with it and tryin to get it to work

i just make a grid, scaled it to 5, make it wooden, added a bunch of spheres on it (like 25-50, more and more as i get it to work better), and just dragged materials onto the spheres until it crashes

and then i count the coloured spheres, and note how much ram is being used
32 posts
Ok im onto something here

When I put my mouse over a material in the material palette tab, the amount of ram houdini is using goes up by 10-50mb while it loads the tooltip, and that 10-50 mb stays allocated

–edit–
Alright, so…

If I dont add *ANYTHING* to the scene, no objects at all, and simply move my mouse back and forth between two materials in the materials palette, Houdini's ram usage quicky goes up to 1.5gb. So I installed this on another pc, and had someone I know try it as well.

their specs are

core 2 quad 2.3ghz
4gb ram
geforce 8300
win xp 32bit

and

core2 quad extreme(not sure the speed, it was the first one that came out)
4gb ram
geforce 8800 ultra
win vista 32bit

I would try on my laptop, which is the only computer I have access to which doesnt have a geforce 8 series card, but it is not with me.
1390 posts
clown
Ok im onto something here

When I put my mouse over a material in the material palette tab, the amount of ram houdini is using goes up by 10-50mb while it loads the tooltip, and that 10-50 mb stays allocated

–edit–
Alright, so…

If I dont add *ANYTHING* to the scene, no objects at all, and simply move my mouse back and forth between two materials in the materials palette, Houdini's ram usage quicky goes up to 1.5gb. So I installed this on another pc, and had someone I know try it as well.

their specs are

core 2 quad 2.3ghz
4gb ram
geforce 8300
win xp 32bit

and

core2 quad extreme(not sure the speed, it was the first one that came out)
4gb ram
geforce 8800 ultra
win vista 32bit

I would try on my laptop, which is the only computer I have access to which doesnt have a geforce 8 series card, but it is not with me.

Is it possible for you to try with some older build, 9.5.241 possibly? If it's fine, then you have found a bug. You should submit it (check Support menu above). Anyway, I think SESI has read it up to now.

cheers,
skk.
Edited by - Feb. 10, 2009 13:45:21
696 posts
There is a definite memory leak happening even in today's build. I'm submitting a bug.

Bug #33842
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
32 posts
K, I installed 9.5.230, and it works great, I just quickly added 100 objects/shaders, and added fur to one of them and its only using 250mb

Thanks for the help!
  • Quick Links