Construction History

4130   5   2
6 posts
Hello All,

I'm building a model in Houdini, and the node network is getting a little extensive. Is there any way to blow away the “construction history” as you would in other packages? Essentially merge all the nodes into one new node? I figure I could export the geometry (as an .obj), then re-import it but I'm wondering if there is a more direct rout?

Thanks
If life was fair, the horse would get to ride half the time.
1904 posts
Wherever you wish to cut it off you can lock that sop and delete all it's inputs.

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini9.5/model/lock_nodes [sidefx.com]

If it's just network editor congestion you are worried about you can also just collapse all your nodes into a subnet.
Graham Thompson, Technical Artist @ Rockstar Games
6 posts
Perfect, That's exactly what I was looking for. I was partly concerned about network congestion, and partly concerned with file size once I start adding more detail. Thanks!!
If life was fair, the horse would get to ride half the time.
1145 posts
Just a reminder that the node network is not a “construction history” like other software and doesn't accumulate in ram like they do.
MMB on any node will show you the memory that is being consumed to that point.
“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
7710 posts
For years now, I've been saying that there's no need to delete construction history in Houdini. If you're running into large SOP networks, there's two very simple techniques:
1. Lock your last SOP, save and restart Houdini.
2. Turn on more conservative SOP caching by setting the cull level >= 3.
581 posts
edward
2. Turn on more conservative SOP caching by setting the cull level >= 3.
Can you explain more about how Cull level works in the SOP cache.
Also can memory be saved playing with the OBJ cache, or this just cache transformations?
Another thing I usually do when dealing with modelling is saving the state I want to “freeze” as a .bgeo file, place a File SOP and continue from this point, this way I alway keep a very small footprint in the scene size cos all the geo is outside. Sometimes this helps a bit.
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
  • Quick Links