procedural modeling question

5065   6   2
114 posts
Hi,

I was wondering if anybody could help me with my little problem:
I made a curve, a circle, I sweep the circle with skin turned on and convert it to polys (I could leave it as a nurbs surface as well). Now comes my problem: at the end of the skin I want that every point of the last row to generate a circle centered in that point and than make another sweep between the created circles (something like a sausage end).
Btw how can I select the huls of a nurbs obj. and edit them (translate rotate etc)
I realy apreciate if someone could help me.

see ya
225 posts
The coolest thing I find about procedural modeling is that you tackle one problem at a time.

I'm not on my machine so i can't check this out but here's how I would approach this

You're interested in the end points of your sweep, turn on point numbers and study the arrangement of points on your sweep. You want to procedurally group the end points so that no matter how many segments you have, you only grab the last row -> Group Sop (Using range maybe, with some reference to the number of segments in the circle?) . Don't like the way the points are numbered, prepend a Sort sop.

Now you have a template object for your copy sop on which you spawn new curves (not circles) for your second sweep
Two things to consider though
1) the curves' pivot would have to be at the beginning of the curve (point 0- i'll leave that for u to figure out)
2) you need point normals on the Group1 points to orient the new curves so you will want to add a point sop after the group and Add Normals

Sweep a circle over the new curves and you're done

Again, not sure if it WILL work coz i'm not on my machine, but worth a shot

cheers
412 posts
ok, so you have your circle, sweep, and skin done. now throw an edit sop in between the sweep and the skin. display the edit sop and keep the skin templated. go to your viewport and select the circle cross sections or even their points and push, pull, rotate, scale them. this will allow your skin not to be uniform over the length of the object. select your last circle and scale that one down. maybe move it up a little for a tip. when your done forming your sweep/skin. switch to display your skin and see if you like it.. if you do, move on and add a cap sop to the skin sop. you can either cap the ends faceted or rounded.. i suggest rounded if you want a sausage.. and play around with your sliders until you get what you want.

remember you can always go back to your edit and readjust your circle cross sections to how you like. note: if you want more circles along the sweep to adjust, you will either have to go back to your curve and add more points or put a resample sop in between the curve and the sweep. this will add more cross sections for more detail. be careful with this though. it will cause your points to get readjusted and you will have to reedit everything. so make sure you have enough to adjust before you go on to skinning and editing.

hth,
dave
Dave Quirus
1192 posts
Another solution (which doesn't involve grouping, but works only if the geometry type is NURBS or Mesh) would be to append a Carve SOP to your tube, First V=1, Extract, Extract type=3D isoparametric Curves. This would give you the end cross section of your tube, and you can make a sweep on it.

Dragos
Dragos Stefan
producer + director @ www.dsg.ro
www.dragosstefan.ro
225 posts
Btw how can I select the huls of a nurbs obj. and edit them (translate rotate etc)

Make sure your Viewer is in Transform sop state (press enter) and that you've turned on the “Primitive Hulls” display option (right side of viewer)

Set your selection type to edge or press “2” and simply select the hull segments you want to manipulate. If you press CTRL+RMB on an edge you get options for pick walking but sadly they don't seem to be working, Hey!!! Anybody else having these problems? using 128

Only reverse direction (r) seems to be responsive

Anyway, edge selecting hulls works the same as poly edges
114 posts
Thank you all for giving me some soplutions to my problem. I think I'll give all a try and see wich suits me better.
About the “hulls” problem I experience the same thing as tallkien; the pick walking doesn't work and I thought there was another way do do it.
thanks again and see ya
225 posts
AAAhhh, seeing arctor's file on odforce i realized i misunderstood ur problem. You never said the sausages were fried
  • Quick Links