Mac Open GL Errors

17776   20   7
341 posts
Hi
Does anybody else run houdini on a
Macpro Quad 3.0 ghz with a Nvidia 4500 quadro card. Leopard 10.5.4
Using Version 9.5.202 of houdini and still errors every time I drop
down a new operator and the Compositing dosen't work at all.

This is what happens when I drop a operator, and to fix it
I basically grab the window frame and shake it and Open GL updates.

I'm running Nuke and Maya and don't have any Open GL problems so I guess it's a houdini problem.

Cheers
Jens

Attachments:
houdiniGrab.jpg (66.6 KB)

Jens Martensson
Effects Supervisor @ Weta FX
44 posts
I get the same corruption sometimes (MacPro 2.8 Octo, 8800) although not nearly as frequently. What I do notice that I'm sure is related to the same issue, is that there seems to be a lag somewhere in updating the UI in general. Sometimes clicking on an operator wont bring up the parameter pane immediately, I have to select it again.. Or if I delete an operator, its parameter pane remains displayed (though of course unusable - it's simply the latent image).

This trickles down to compositing too - clicking the display flag on a COP will not display the COP until I click elsewhere on the interface.

Maybe a buffer flip that's being skipped somewhere?

edit: Just saw your location - maybe it's our crazy Swedish electricity
22 posts
mondi
I get the same corruption sometimes (MacPro 2.8 Octo, 8800) although not nearly as frequently. What I do notice that I'm sure is related to the same issue, is that there seems to be a lag somewhere in updating the UI in general. Sometimes clicking on an operator wont bring up the parameter pane immediately, I have to select it again.. Or if I delete an operator, its parameter pane remains displayed (though of course unusable - it's simply the latent image).

This trickles down to compositing too - clicking the display flag on a COP will not display the COP until I click elsewhere on the interface.

Maybe a buffer flip that's being skipped somewhere?

edit: Just saw your location - maybe it's our crazy Swedish electricity

same problem here (MacPro Quad 2GHz / 7300GT)

this problem accrues in some versions of houdini (as well in 9.5.202)

installed 9.5.199 and there is no problem with the UI…

regards
Allan
154 posts
There seem to be a few GL issues with missing refreshes. There's a particular problem with text fields only updating every second time. Currently the issue seem isolated to NVidia.

We are looking into the issue. I'll keep you updated.
9 posts
same here on iMac Core 2 Duo 2.33
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT
Mac OS X 10.5.4 (9E17)

refresh problems in a panes, and occasionally unrecoverable degradation of text and parts of the UI
154 posts
I'm testing a fix for refreshes occasionally appearing in the wrong window.

I'm still looking into the issues of missing refreshes to text widgets and corrupt text.
58 posts
I have the same issue. Usually happens one level below object level, when adding a node or attempting to access the drop down menu.

OSX 10.5.5
2x2.66 Dual Core
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500
(running 2 x 23" Cinema Displays)

Attachments:
Picture 17.png (512.9 KB)

80 posts
I have the same problem I have the octa core macpro with 7600GT Nvidia card. It happens to me when I even just run the timeline.
9 posts
I have stopped using Houdini on the Mac because of this problem, and I'm not the only one. Is there a fix in sight?
154 posts
Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:51 pm Post subject: what's the status of this bug
I have stopped using Houdini on the Mac because of this problem, and I'm not the only one. Is there a fix in sight?

We had to significantly restructure the way we use OpenGL in order improve Houdini's stability on the Mac. Our changes will improve all platforms, but they are most critical on the Mac.

Yesterday we got Houdini up and running using the new OpenGL context management scheme. We've still got some issues to fix and much more testing to do, but we have definitely gotten through the hardest part.

We hope to have more news soon.

/\/\ike
80 posts
that sounds great thanks Mike for all the work you guys have put in, Houdini runs great on OS X aside from the OpenGL issues which are really bad and make it almost unusable and so once those issues are solved it would really help things out. Thanks
80 posts
Mike are there any more updates on the opengl issues? have they been resolved please?
154 posts
Mike are there any more updates on the opengl issues? have they been resolved please?

We have resolved the issues in our development version of Houdini. I'm now bringing those changes back to 9.5. The changes were pretty extensive, so bringing them back to 9.5 safely is a tricky thing.

Once I've back ported all of the changes, we will enable them in the daily 9.5 releases. So, we're not there yet, but we're getting very close!

/\/\ike
80 posts
thanks mike, could you please post the release version on here once its implemented so I can update mine, thanks.
154 posts
After careful consideration, we have decided to save our OpenGL changes for the next release and not complete the back port of those changes to 9.5.

We spent a few weeks trying to separate the extensive changes we made in our development branch and back port them. However, in the end we found that the risk of destabilizing 9.5 is too high and we would very much like to focus on making sure that our next release is as solid as possible.

Thank you for your patience so far and I hope you can bear with us a little longer. I feel your pain (this decision was not an easy one)!
581 posts
MikeTaylor
After careful consideration, we have decided to save our OpenGL changes for the next release and not complete the back port of those changes to 9.5.
I understand, I think you take the correct decission.
Good to know that Houdini will improve the OpenGL, it one of the weak points of the tool, compared to the XSI viewport for example.
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
581 posts
I haven't been using Houdini for the last 2 months, but yesterday I installed the version 9.5.396 for the Mac.
I remember getting problems with the opengl in previous versions, like 3-4 months ago, many of these problems have been discussed before in this thread, but now this has got even worse, I don't if is due to these last versions or maybe the last update in the Nvidia drivers for Leopard, but now the refreshment problems makes almost imposssible to use the tool, and these problems happens in the timeline, parameters panel, shelf, etc …
I don't know if somebody has experimented also an increase in the opengl problems for the Mac version, are there any solutions that at least can decrease, if not solve these problems?
thx
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
345 posts
Hi Pablo,

How is it going?
Unfortunately SESI suspended updating OGL errors on H9.5 mac version. The reason is that the fixes introduced further problems in another areas of Houdini. Fortunately in H9.7 everything is going to work fast and smooth. So can't wait for the next release. (Can you hear me SESI!!?)

Cheers,
kuba
80 posts
any ideas when the new houdini might be released?
581 posts
kuba
Hi Pablo,
How is it going?
Unfortunately SESI suspended updating OGL errors on H9.5 mac version. The reason is that the fixes introduced further problems in another areas of Houdini. Fortunately in H9.7 everything is going to work fast and smooth. So can't wait for the next release. (Can you hear me SESI!!?)
Cheers,
kuba
Is going well well man …
I know that SESI decided to not include the new stuff for opengl in the current branch and wait for the next major release, the thing that really surprised me is why now the opengl is worse than 3-4 months ago.
In previuos versions I have some refreshment problems, but I can use Houdini, but now now is really hard to use, I had refreshment problems in many areas of the inteface and this is really annoying.
Hopefully we will have a solution soon.
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
  • Quick Links