Fur question - please

3757   2   1
16 posts
Hi everyone i've been trying for 3~4 hours now to be able to guide the fur using custom curves and i wasn't able to get it to work.
the thing is that i used shave and hair cut to create hair fur for my caracter in maya, then i converted the guides of my shave hairs to curves
then i imported them in houdini and now houdini recognizes them as curves and all is ok.
then i imported the obj of my caracter and i created default fur on it, then i tried to use my imported curves as guide curves to replace the (line+geometry+copy) combination
i tried many approaches (and i transfered the hairroot and furlength… and all the attributes to my imported curves)
but… the outcome is messed up hair in fact the hairs are offset from the surface, and it's as if every hair was offset randomly, while if i visualize my curves and my caracter they are matching 100%
hope i explained my problem in a clear way and i hope that you could have an answer that would help me solve this problem
note : i also need to animate the caracter so the curve have to also follow the surface
thanks in advance
Regards
Staff
327 posts
I suspect the Houdini -> Maya -> Houdini translation changed the point or primitive numbers in the geometry. The Fur SOP expects the primitive number of each guide hair to match the point number of the corresponding point on the skin geometry. If this is the case, you should be able to fix it with a network that transfers the point number to the hairs and sorts them based upon the transferred attribute.
16 posts
thanks derrick, that was right it was mainly a sorting issue, so i got it to work with also some help from the guys at odforce.
thanks again
regards
  • Quick Links