Particle Fluid Surface and the pscale issue

3753   3   1
581 posts
Hi
I get another problem with the Particle Fluid Surfacer Tool, when I have the pscale attribute in my particles the fluid generation takes forever, whereas without this attribute the tool works pretty fast.
The values for the pscale are in the range of , so is not a crazy size value in the particles, is just the surfacertakes a lot of time when tries to use the pscale attribute.
Anybody has suffer this before?
thx
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
156 posts
Holy cow could it take any longer to calculate?! OK, so I was skeptical and tried this out, it must be a bug or something new because I dont remember it taking so long previously.

However, as soon as I turned down my Point Radius Scale in the Particle Fluid Surfacer, it sped back up. Ideally, if you have your Point Radius Scale above 0.2 then you should have more points in your scene anyway. when in doubt, more particles! Hope that helps.

//edit - Basically whats happening is each point gets a radius (much like metaballs but with a nicer algorithm) and if the radius is constantly overlapping itself it will take longer to calculate.

Your step size is also a big factor in your speed.
“In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
581 posts
Thanks moonlightkiss.
I understand, this is the reason because I have tried with values close to 1, the default value for the point radius.
I guess that if the default values is 1, pscale values close to 1 should need a similar time to be calculatesd, isn´t it?
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
156 posts
Well I would just bring down the Point Radius Scale to something like 0.2. Points are tiny. If your surface now has holes, then you need more points. I imagine if you make the pscale smaller instead of the Point Radius Scale then it will speed up.

If you've ever tried to surface particles by copying metaballs onto particles then you'll know that the larger values can really chug, which is why you make the metaballs smaller and then add more particles.
“In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
  • Quick Links