Attribute woes

3248   3   1
519 posts
I am having a bit of a difficulty with teh combination of the attributepromote and delete sop. I want to use a ray SOP to blast away/delete some primitives on a sphere. It seems to work for most of the “hits” except for one primitive.

Am I missing something here? Is there an easier way to accomplish this network?

Hans

Attachments:
ray.hip (54.4 KB)

Staff
2540 posts
You don't want to use attribute transfer for this.

I modified your file to use python expressions to build a hit list of prims in a Delete SOP. Works nicely.

Attachments:
ray_126_jw.hip (62.8 KB)

There's at least one school like the old school!
519 posts
Thanks Jeff,

definitely an elegant solution but why isn't the attribute transfer a good idea in this situation, apart from the obvious reason that in this case it just doesn't work? Is there a large margin of error when attributes get promoted from points to primitives etc? In this case it seems to work fine except of just one primitive (which is of course not good enough )

Hans
Staff
2540 posts
Attribute transfer is great when you want to move attributes from one object to another in an approximate way.

The issue you present is pretty absolute: point hits prim, blow away prim. No need for attribute transfer.

Attribute transfer uses an object space radius to look up geometry. If your point hits the corner or edge of a primitive, attribute transfer may now blow away more prims than you want. Or maybe you want that.
There's at least one school like the old school!
  • Quick Links