8-core ( dual opteron ) w/ pcie x8

5623   7   1
42 posts
would an 8-core ( dual Opteron 2376 2.3GHz ) system that doesn't have a PCIe x16 slot be worth it?

http://dealnews.com/Dell-Power-Edge-T605-AMD-8-Core-2-3-GHz-Server-for-799-35-s-h/298144.html [dealnews.com]

if it only cost $800? which is more / less the cost of a mid range quad core these days ( granted w/ the potential for better gpu ).

note: i'm currently running a Geforce 6600 ( on AGP ) so even a slight upgrade in the gpu would be an improvement even if i had limited bandwidth w/ the PCIe x8 slot.

thanks in adv
57 posts
I think so.
I run a dual opteron 2376 box here and it's certainly fast enough. Thanks for posting the link, I might just pick up one of those for rendering as it's a great deal.
Staff
5156 posts
The real-world difference between x16 and x8 for most graphics cards and applications is minimal. In most cases even the x8 bandwidth isn't even saturated. I think you have to go down to x4 before you get a noticeable hit.
42 posts
thanks for the help.

perhaps a “heads up” : older posts show that older Dell's that have the x8 instead of the x16 don't allow the x16 to fit in w/o altering the slot thus voiding the warranty or getting some sort of a converter.

if anybody has realworld experience with this, it'd be nice to hear about it.

other than that, and not to suggest that we take advantage of our nice and helpful computer manufaturers, but if someone bought a system like this and then couldn't get it to work ( couldn't upgrade the graphics, issues installing Linux, couldn't get Houdini to run ) could we return it? :wink: anybody return a pc bought mail order? was it an enjoyable experience?

thanks again.
1145 posts
Certainly for a rendering box this is a nice deal. The only caution I can think of is the Broadcomm network card. On some linux, particularly Ubuntu, this can be a PITA to get working correctly, wireless especially.
“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
42 posts
* First off, the actual total cost for something like this is a bit higher than $800. The “sticker price” doesn't include tax or S&H. Also, that is with 4GB of ram… 2GB per cpu… which, if my forum research tells me anything, is not enough. Furthermore, to upgrade to a DVD burner, it's another $30… add it all up and we're just north of $1K. *shudders*
( any financially blessed benevolent H TD's pls PM me. just kidding. )

* Secondly,
splitpoint
… for rendering …
and
probbins
Certainly for a rendering box …
I'm curious what this means, exactly. Does this mean GUI-less? If so, would us Apprentice users be able to use such a beast?

* Thirdly,
probbins
…The only caution I can think of is the Broadcomm network card. On some linux, particularly Ubuntu, this can be a PITA to get working correctly, wireless especially.
Thank you *very* much for the heads up!

* Finally,
twod
The real-world difference between x16 and x8 for most graphics cards and applications is minimal. In most cases even the x8 bandwidth isn't even saturated. I think you have to go down to x4 before you get a noticeable hit.
again, if i get this far, i'm not aiming for top of the line graphics, but curious, would a PCIe 2.0 x16 downshift into an x8? or best to stick w/ “vanilla” x16? specifically, assuming an adapter is used – therefore, no change to the mobo or slot – is there any chance a small fire, nuclear explosion, personal harm or damage to gpu or mobo be had? :?:
57 posts
“….for rendering…” simply means that I already have a capable machine and a commercial license so if I added another machine it would be to speed up my renders only. It has nothing to do with using the GUI.

X8 or X16 will have no effect on the graphics card aside from the speed of the bus.
42 posts
just to make the decision making process even more fun!

AMD just “released” their 6-core CPU.
http://seekingalpha.com/article/140698-amd-rolls-out-six-core-chip-positioned-as-value-play [seekingalpha.com]

Intel already had a 6-core CPU and their Nehalem acts like ( pretends? ) to be an 8-core due to hyperthreading.

Soooo, whether or not you choose these alternatives or not, this could affect prices on older tech. maybe.

merry xmas everybody!
  • Quick Links