save as doubles the file size

17059   29   2
191 posts
I have a very strange behaviour with my current hipnc file. I found out that for some reason houdini doubles the file size if I save my work file. So my workfile is now 16 MB in size and when i save it again or save it with another name i get a file size of 32MB.

Hmmmmm
4140 posts
Odds are you are locking some SOPs - locking a SOP means the data gets saved to the hip file.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
191 posts
hmm, i havn't understand correctly what you are mean. Im using some otl's
4140 posts
You can lock SOPs, the button on the middle left of the node. That will lock the data into your hip file, making it get larger. Not sure that's the reason, just the first thing that occurred to me.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
191 posts
ok I understand but I havn't any node which is locked
7714 posts
That does sound strange. If you can, I'd try submitting a bug with your .hip file to see if the problem can be reproduced.
1769 posts
I think You have found the bug which i reported already:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=16066 [sidefx.com]
daniel bukovec | senior fx td | weta digital
qLib -- http://qlab.github.io/qLib/ [qlab.github.io]
Staff
3455 posts
also…
if you have otls in your file that are unlocked (not synced) then the file size will increase as the hip file has to store the otl..
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
191 posts
buki

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=16066 [sidefx.com]

Yes, I have the same “\\\”. The whole file is full of it.
7714 posts
buki

How is that “me”? Does anyone know if it was actually submitted? I'd assume that it wasn't submitted unless someone said so and gave you a bug id.
7714 posts
PS. Always try the newest Daily build before submitting in case it has since been fixed.
Staff
1072 posts
edward
Does anyone know if it was actually submitted? I'd assume that it wasn't submitted unless someone said so and gave you a bug id.

As it turns out, I submitted it, ninja-style, so as not to encourage bug submissions through the forum.
12455 posts
I have just right now had a bad case of this problem now too. My hip file had hit 623mb before I noticed it - coz it suddenly took 20secs to save.

To repair it, I did the following things in a Shell:

cp myfile.hip /tmp/fixme.hip
cd /tmp
hexpand fixme.hip
cd fixme.hip.dir
cat .application | grep -v imgview2d | grep -v lut | grep -v colorsettings > .appnew
mv .appnew .application
cd ..
hcollapse fixme.hip.dir

.. and you should now have a new fixme.hip which is small and works ok.

This stripped out all the imgview, lut, colorsettings lines from the .application settings file, so you might have to set these right again.

Thanks,
Jason.
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
Staff
5158 posts
You can also go to Edit->Color Settings, Color Correction tab and delete the garbage in the LUT field, then Apply. In you download 10.0.314, it will correct the problem of the quote bloat, but you'll still need to manually delete the garbage in the LUT field.
1769 posts
I submitted the bug, and it is now fixed in 10.0.314, thanks SESI!!
daniel bukovec | senior fx td | weta digital
qLib -- http://qlab.github.io/qLib/ [qlab.github.io]
365 posts
JColdrick
You can lock SOPs, the button on the middle left of the node. That will lock the data into your hip file, making it get larger. Not sure that's the reason, just the first thing that occurred to me.

Cheers,

J.C.

I have the same problem, doubling the file size.
How can i know nodes are locked. i am not quite sure about the button on the middle left of the node

Steve
4140 posts
As mentioned above, there was a bug fix, grab the latest release. The issue of locking data was just a suggestion that was likely unrelated. How to lock data in SOPs is dicussed in the intro to Houdini interface in the help, I believe…

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
365 posts
JColdrick
As mentioned above, there was a bug fix, grab the latest release. The issue of locking data was just a suggestion that was likely unrelated. How to lock data in SOPs is dicussed in the intro to Houdini interface in the help, I believe…

Cheers,

J.C.

I downloaded the latest version and copy , paste the code in the shell that the above Jason explained. I believe i also manaually deleted the junk ///////// . But i still have the huge size, 2.3 gb. or a little reduced to 1.5 gb. How can i submitt the bug ?

Can you help me further how to reduce and fix all the huge files saved in my hard drive. Thanks very much.

Stev
Staff
3455 posts
the code that Jason posted isn't for the textport - it's used in a shell…
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
365 posts
arctor
the code that Jason posted isn't for the textport - it's used in a shell…

Then what should i do to fix the problem. can you help me please.

steve
  • Quick Links