Shatter SOP

4239   3   0
2624 posts
Hi All ,
For those who have played with the shatter sop & RBD glue object how have you found it ?. I'm not sure if I have my workflow down because I cannot get a decent working result out it with the RBD glue object.

I find the shatter sop struggles with hollow polygon geometry , always giving me incorrect results. Next the shatter SOP outputs each piece into a group, if I take the resulting groups into a RBD GLUE object it refuses to break apart even when the internal glue is set to 1 !
simple scene attached with internal glue set to 1

H build 10.0.306

r

Attachments:
rse_simpleBreakRBD.hip (374.9 KB)

Gone fishing
4140 posts
You might want to pop over to odforce.net and do a search for ‘voronoi’ - the location based fracture asset that johner has cleverly built does a pretty amazing shatter.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
Staff
809 posts
Thanks for the plug, J.C. If you head over to odforce, make sure to go to the last page of the thread to get the latest version.

To circusmonkey, the problem with your DOP sim is just that you've got the “Group Mask” on your RBD Glue Object set to “*”, which pulls in all geometry groups. The Shatter SOP creates an “inside” group of all the interior surfaces that it builds, but those primitives are also part of different “piece” groups as well. So you wind up with two different DOP objects that contain the same primitives, and the pieces get stuck inside each other and nothing works.

So just change the group mask to “piece*” and your sim should work. My Voronoi Fracture SOP builds an “inside” and “outside” group as well, and I'm constantly forgetting to set this mask the first time around.
2624 posts
So just change the group mask to “piece*” and your sim should work. My Voronoi Fracture SOP builds an “inside” and “outside” group as well, and I'm constantly forgetting to set this mask the first time around.

I am having some problems that I think are more than just the shatter SOP , and the DOP mask piece* issue. No matter what I try I cannot enter a RBD sim from key framed animation smoothly. Unless I use the blend solver type set up.
You can see the keyframed animation come in then when the active value takes over there's no velocity information for the RBD object.

just look at this simple example

BlendBetween_anim_pos_and_sim_pos_ex5

Attachments:
rse_GeoKeyIntoDops_03.hip (336.8 KB)

Gone fishing
  • Quick Links