HDK question: what OP_Node to inherite for importing file

3539   4   1
3 posts
I have a custom file format that contains static/animated camera information. I need to use HDK to write a custom node that reads in this file and according to my limited understanding of Houdini, I could use Fetch CHOP nodes to obtain these channel data and use them to drive the camera (both the transform and the attributes of the camera could possibly be animated). I understand that there's a File CHOP node that reads Houdini-supported file formats like .chan, .clip, etc, but I don't want to have a standalone application that translates the data into a Houdini recognizable format first and then use the File CHOP.

So my question is which Op_Node do I inherit from to write this custom node. Do I use a CHOP_Node or is there any other choice available? Thanks.
Staff
1072 posts
To create a custom CHOP with the HDK you'll want to derive from CHOP_Node.

But I would recommend an external conversion application registered via $HFS/houdini/CHOPio as being easier to maintain.
3 posts
Thank you Ondrej. I assume that if it's just camera data, it wouldn't make a difference on memory or speed no matter which way I choose to implement. Just out of curiosity, I looked for the file format of .bclip files but couldn't find one. Do you happen to know any link I could explore?

Thanks!
7709 posts
I suggest that you just use the .clip format.
Staff
1072 posts
whisperwing
Just out of curiosity, I looked for the file format of .bclip files but couldn't find one. Do you happen to know any link I could explore?

Look in $HFS/houdini/public/CPD. That should hopefully get you started.
  • Quick Links