Possible to change the speed in which your sim plays?

5121   4   4
96 posts
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering…when I set up an object as an rbd, let it sim, then play it, I notice that it falls a little slower than it should realistically. Of course if I turn realtime off it runs too fast. Is it possible to tweak the speed in which my sim plays so that I can get the drops just right? Would I need to compensate with some velocity and maybe a lower bounce? Or is there an actual setting to slow or speed my sims? Any assistance would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Hairston
696 posts
you need to do a flipbook to playback in realtime… if you want your sim to be faster or slower you likely want to adjust the forces in your simulation. Depending on what you're simulating, there may also be ways of adjusting the geometry in the sop level as well.
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
96 posts
Allegro
you need to do a flipbook to playback in realtime… if you want your sim to be faster or slower you likely want to adjust the forces in your simulation. Depending on what you're simulating, there may also be ways of adjusting the geometry in the sop level as well.

Great!, thank you. I just tried running a flipbook and noticed that its falling fine. Lets say, however, that I wanted to slow down my sim so that I can take a big object in the background and make it appear as if it is falling realistically. I wouldnt want it to fall fast but semi slow as objects appear to have that slow fall when they are very large. How would I do that?

Thank you again
Staff
2540 posts
You can try adjusting the Scale Time parameter in the top level DOP Network Object's Simulation folder if it's just the one object moving.

If you have other RBD objects in the sim and you want one of them to move slower, you probaby want to break physical laws. Just add a new Gravity DOP and add less gravity to that one object that you want to move slower. You can also add Drag to that slower moving object.

To do this in the viewport, change the viewport to DOP mode (you're there already if you are looking at the DOP network and viewport is in default mode), press the select objects arrow, select your dop objects, then tab type Gravity and it adds a Gravity DOP with the selected DOP objects in the Group field,

Tweak away. Same for Drag.
There's at least one school like the old school!
319 posts
You can retime the movement post sim also in a number of ways also, to save re-simming over and over. CHOP's being the most obvious. Another cool and simpler way to do it is by writing your sim to disk, file it in and use a combination of the timeblend and timeshift sops. Timeblend will interpolate the frame by frame movement of the geometry so you can access sub-frame point positions, and then you can use the fit function in the frame field of the timeshift sop to speed up or slow down your sim. You could even branch off different pieces of sim geo and tweak their speed individually, provided you have written out object name data with your bgeo stream (which I think gets written out by default).
  • Quick Links